MYSQL Users Sound Off

ohmelas

Registered
Hey Guys/Gals/Gifted Animals,

I'm coming from a Microsoft VB, Microsoft SQL, and Microsoft Access background. I've since been one of those switchers (I was a Mac user first you know being a musician and all).

I've been tinkering with REALbasic and love its ease of use. Nice like MS VB is. Okay so, I need a database with some music and need a client/server environment. They're using Peachtree to run things now and suck because they're pulling the entire file over the network eachtime the do something in Peachtree!

Tell me about MySQL and your experiences. Is it easy to deploy like Microsofts SQL Server? What will be my common hurdles in integrating with REALbasic? Any known issues that I should watch out for?

Doesn't REALBasic have a module or something to ease the use with MySQL? I recall seeing something about that awhile ago.

As long as you know SQL, you shouldn't have a problem with MySQL.

I've been using mySQL for the past 3 years.
Its friggin great. So much easier to manage then Oracle.

I know nothing about realbasic.
I do all of my mysql work for web sites, so I use php and perl.

I believe that there is a mySQL realbasic module out there somewhere. Google came up with 7000+ results, some might be helpful.

Big differences between mySQL and M$SQL (IMHO):
1. mysql appears to be more standards compliant then mssql (no suprise there).
2. mysql does not have a native GUI like mssql, its all command line SQL.
3. mysql is blazing fast, while mssql is...well...kinda poky.
4. mysql has a very small footprint, mssql.....we won't even go there
5. very good support for mysql in forums and mailing lists, I haven't found the same level of support for mssql in the same.
6. admin'ing mysql is a breeze compared to mssql
7. I've never had a virus destroy my data or infect my install of mysql, can't say the same for mssql.
8. mysql runs on OS X, windows and *nix, mssql runs on...you guessed it, windows only.

I'm sure that I could go on for quite a while, but work beckons.....

there are admin utilities for MySQL. A popular web-based (php) utility is phpMyAdmin. There are also some OS X native apps for MySQL administration, but I haven't tried any of them...check versiontracker.com

-JARinteractive

I'm getting excited. I was browsing a book of it at Borders today and I'm definatley considering it more useful now. I know that on a shoe-string budget this is definately the way to go in terms of power.

Does MySQL have any table wizards or will I have to SQL them all out?

After doing some research [actually reading the manual] I found that REALbasic has several reasonably powerful database classes and tools. To help other users out here are the database subclasses:

• ADSP4Server____________Use instead of Open4DDatabasebyADSP
  • MySQLDatabase_________Adds support for MySSQL databases. Previously supported only by third-party plug-ins
  • ODBCDatabase__________Use instead of OpenODBCDatabase
  • OpenBaseDatabase______Use instead of OpenIoenBaseDatabase
  • PostgreSQLDatabase_____Use instead of OpenPOstgreSQLDatabase
  • REALDatabase__________Use instead of OpenREALDatabase and NewREALDatabase
  • TCPIP4DServer__________Use instead of Open4DDatabasebyTCPIP

The key to this is that these are all database subclasses and they're able to support a core set of operations for all data sources and operations that are unique to each data source.

It's also important to note that when operating one of these subclasses, you should test whether your connection is successful before proceeding with database operations. Use the connect method of the Database class to determine whether the connection was successful. If so it will return a value of true.

ohmelas said:
Does MySQL have any table wizards or will I have to SQL them all out?

mySQL does not have table wizards. You will need to write the SQL.

Now, I bet some of the GUI's mentioned by the posters above have a GUI frontend for mySQL.

Although, I must say that SQL is fairly easy and is definately worth learning. And, if you have SQL questions, you can always post them here.

david

There seem to be a lot of people using MySQL here - I'm interested in knowing what everyone uses it FOR, and what apps/development tools you are using to access it.

I run an opensource library automation program named obiblio <http://sourceforge.net/projects/obiblio>

I admin both with phpmyadmin and with navicat.

brianleahy said:
There seem to be a lot of people using MySQL here - I'm interested in knowing what everyone uses it FOR, and what apps/development tools you are using to access it.

I use mySQL mostly as a backend for websites. Alll the way from just storing login info to generating dynamic sites with data from mySQL.

Tools: Perl, PHP, *nix command line and mysql client. I deploy on OS X, Solaris and Linux

I also do alot of data importing from a file into mySQL. This is where Perl comes in to parse the data format it and generate the insert statement.

Oh yeah, I've also built a few "content management systems" (php-mysql) with it but since they were web based I guess that goes along with dynamic web sites.

This site itself uses a MySQL database to store all the information. It's something like 400 MB, but fortunately Scott doesn't have to edit it by hand because vBulletin's software does it automatically.

And just so someone's said it: PostgreSQL is a great DB, too. Personally, I use MySQL until I want to do something which it doesn't support (like sub-selects ... which is coming in a future version, which I'm very pleased about). Then I use PostgreSQL. I've found that the latter has a few more gotchas, and although not that difficult to admin, it is more difficult to admin than MySQL.
But if you don't want any 'complex' DB functions (triggers, et al) stick with MySQL, coz it will see you right, sunshine! :)
C

I use it for web, and local intranet (apps). Can't wait till 5 comes...

Working on a prototype right now for a data warehousing and mining idea, and we're using MySQL with InnoDB tables. Will most likely use Oracle for the final product though.

InnoDB tables allow: Transactions, row level locking, hot backup, and foreign keys for MySQL

Hey Arden, 400mb is small potatoes...here's some larger uses of it (MySQL w/InnoDB Tables):

Phaistos Networks (We have 6 servers running mySQL + InnoDB. Two of our busiest database server sustain over 1200 queries/sec (mixed inserts, updates, and selects) with less than 2.0 load. The other database servers sustain over 500 queries/sec each with less than 1.0 load.)

Mytrix Inc (Totally we have about 30 servers (mostly Dual PIII with 1-2 GB of RAM) which have in total more than 1 TB of data stored in MySQL databases. The number of tables is more than 100 000 (small tables were used with MyISAM to overcome concurrency problems in table level locking used with MyISAM). The tables contain more than 20 000 000 000 rows in total)

SelectBourse (online stock trading in the Paris and New York stock exchanges; 2 productions databases with 26 Gbytes, 1200 inserts/second + selects of web servers, Dual-PIII 866, 2 Gbytes SDRAM FreeBSD)

Back