Myst III updated for OS X

Red Phoenix

Registered
Myst III has finally been updated for the Mac, and has an OS X version. I haven't tried it yet (I don't even have Myst III installed right now; I had the maximum install, and that was a heck of a lot more space than I wanted to give up for a game I couldn't even play in OS X), but you can download the files at

http://www.ubisoft.com/support/myst3macpatch.php

The updating process looks really convoluted. I hope it's not too much of a pain. I'll check it out myself sometime this weekend.

The installation process looks big...real big. But I can't wait to get playing Myst III again! Thanks for giving the link!!!

It's actually not as bad as I thought it was going to be. There were some annoyances with installing it, though:

*The installer (which is Carbon, although I've found Classic to run amazingly well in OS X.I, anyway) only checks for Myst III on the startup disk. I had to copy the whole Myst III folder over to my Applications folder, run the installer, and copy it back. I have a Rev. 1 Blue and White G3, which is very picky that I use the original 6 GB drive as the startup disk. Unfortunately, the games I currently have installed take up 3.5GB, so keeping them in my Applications folder would be impossible.

*The resolution it picks to play is not right. I think this might be because there is no recommended 640x480 display resolution, so it just picks one. I know 640x480 at 85 Hz works just fine, but I haven't figured out how to pass this bit of information along to Myst.

Other than that, everything runs great. Skips a little, but this might be because I didn't do the 2.5 GB install this time. I really haven't tested it that much. Heck, I haven't even left Atrus's house, yet. Testing might be a good excuse to play...

That 's a good idea. Why don't you go...uh...test and get me some...uh...feedback? :)
Sounds cool...but a 2 GB installation? I can't handle that! What's the small installation size?

My current installation, the standard one, is about 230 MB. The full install involves copying all of the data files from all four CDs into the Myst III folder. There might have been a smaller installation option, but I don't think so.

Originally posted by Red Phoenix
My current installation, the standard one, is about 230 MB. The full install involves copying all of the data files from all four CDs into the Myst III folder. There might have been a smaller installation option, but I don't think so.

I've done that, and it STILL wants a CD to play, only difference is, now it wants CD 1, not CD 2, 3 or 4

Myst probably has a CD protections scheme. In a lot of ways, it is worth it to still do a full install. I've been playing Myst again in my spare time since this came out (you know, just to see if they fixed everything), and it gets annoying to have to switch CDs back and forth. It's something I didn't miss with floppies. Plus, it fixes the delay that keeps showing up in random parts of the game.

Has anyone else noticed that the dock still shows up? Everytime my real cursor (not the mouse-view cursor) hits the side of the right side of the screen, the dang dock shows up. It's very annoying.

Finally got around to borrowing my brother's CD for Myst III:Exile.

Interestingly enough, after doing a full install and applying the 1.22 patch and using the released OS X native application, I seem to be able to launch the app without having to have the CD in the CD drive.

That sound about right to everyone else playing under OS X?

Cheers.

Originally posted by Red Phoenix
Myst probably has a CD protections scheme. In a lot of ways, it is worth it to still do a full install. I've been playing Myst again in my spare time since this came out (you know, just to see if they fixed everything), and it gets annoying to have to switch CDs back and forth. It's something I didn't miss with floppies. Plus, it fixes the delay that keeps showing up in random parts of the game.

Has anyone else noticed that the dock still shows up? Everytime my real cursor (not the mouse-view cursor) hits the side of the right side of the screen, the dang dock shows up. It's very annoying.

Back