Mysterious "23.jpg" keeps reappearing

nuncoop

Registered
I'm not sure if anyone else has had this happen to them, but this stray .jpg file keeps popping up after I try deleting it, underneath my music and pictures option in the finder. Can anyone explain this?

You might have more chance of a useful reply if you divulge what hardware and OS you are using. Also explain what you mean by "my music and pictures option in the finder". What option?

And how exactly your are "deleting" the unwanted file?

Well you have a couple options for your problem:

1) Click the file and enter command+i on your keyboard. This should give you information and a preview of the file
2) Do a search in Spotlight or in Finder to see if there are any duplicates of the file. Delete the original and duplicates.
3) Did you drag a jpg file from one place to another and place it in the sidebar? I am not sure what you mean by options. If it is in the sidebar you can drag it out.

Sorry, I just noticed my wording was a little off. When I click on mac HD it is in the sidebar underneath "pictures." When I click once on it, it says "The volume for 23.jpg cannot be found". When I try to right-click it, it does nothing at all. The only way I'm able to get rid of it is by dragging it to the trash, however it just keeps reappearing in the same spot. I tried doing a search for it in the finder, but nothing came up matching it exactly. I'm running a Stock 2.0 Ghz white macbook with 1 GB of RAM.

It sounds like you've accidentally dragged this JPG into your sidebar. You can get rid of it by dragging it out again (grab it, drag to a blank area such as your desktop, let go and it'll *pop*). :)

You still haven't told us what operating system you are using. If the above suggestion fails and if you are NOT running Leopard (10.5) then I'd recommend using DiskWarrior. (I don't think it's Leopard compatible yet, but check).

Back