MystIII: Exile. They lied.

Fahrvergnuugen

I am the law!
I just got Myst III. On the myst III site, it says that the game is compatible with MacOS 8.1 and up [including OSX]. This would lead anyone to believe that the game is carbon. However, there is no carbon application on the CD...only classic. Am I missing something??

rinse

www.visualrinse.com
technically, a classic app is OSX compatible. you assumed they meant it was a carbonized app... which is understandable... however, nowhere on their site does it appear to say that it is a carbonized native OSX app.

Fahrvergnuugen

I am the law!
The reason I say they lied, is because it will not run under OSX. You need OS9 to run it...which I do not have installed. I know what you are saying though...I just think that they should have known better.

Totally irritated.

drewbert

Registered
Afraid that's going to happen a lot until OS X is (very) well established, and pre-OS X products are completely off the shelves.

Rule of thumb: if it doesn't say OS X on the box, it's not going to work natively. Software developers will very much want to make sure the big blue X is visible on the box, especially right now, when native apps are a bit scarce.

Unfortunately lots of people who see the words "OS 8 or greater" are going to get confused. In an ideal world someone would write a nice euphemism for "doesn't work on X". Then they'll will have to print out a gazillion stickers and paste them on all the pre-X software gathering dust at CompUSA.

Red Phoenix

Registered
I think the main deal with Myst III and OS X is that they plan on releasing a carbon version of it, after they have released a bug fix for the Classic version. I'm getting all of this from my memory of what Macgamer.com said. None of this really helps me any more, since I booted into OS 9 for two days and finished it.

-Bruce Adcock

Fahrvergnuugen

I am the law!
Looks like I wont be playing the game till they come out with the carbon version then. I refuse to install OS9!

Red Phoenix

Registered
Just don't hold your breath, though. The PC version of Myst III has had an update for many, many weeks now. And they won't be releasing the OS X version until after the Quaint (Classic) version gets updated. I honestly have no idea what could be holding them up. I only ran into one bug the whole time, and that was that after a few hours the game needed be be quit and reopened.

-Bruce Adcock