N Search of the Root....

dinorv@gmail.co

Registered
...of my problems.

Could someone please tell me if the Unix OS is installed along with OS X or if it is embedded somewhere in a more permanent manner (as in firmware or cmoss).

Is their any potential to reinstall it or roll it back to its original default settings?

My system has been tampered with, as a result: Permissions are (seemingly) altered, A good deal of some very basic commands in Unix (via Terminal and single user) are either "not valid" or not acknowledged (which I believe is an indication that the command has a tag or option linked to it, instructing the output to be directed to a file and not the display).

The initial issue I am attempting to isolate ultimately, is when I install OS X onto a zeroed HD, freshly partitioned (HFS journaled) the installer is (absolutely and positively) modified from the "install options" I select.

From the Install Disk/Disk Utility the information pane for the volume (not the HD) has 2 files and 2 folders (despite 7 passes with 0). I believe these file to be associated with the root of the problem (Root Kit?).
Early Symptom Example:
*1.) After a (Erase and Install or Brand New Install options) install of OS X (with options, not of my own choosing, on a system who's ethernet port has never been plugged into (Apple mouse, keyboard and monitor only)), it immediately broadcasts a packet, requesting network binding (as indicated in Network Utility/Info pane).
note: as a trouble shooting measure, at this point, I connected "cat 6" to a router and systems ethernet port only, (no connection to a modem or any other computer) with no history of an active network connection (LAN or WAN)
2.)After "gracefully" shutting down, I power up the machine (via power button).
*3.) The router's LED (indicating network activity) is illuminated in under a second. It remains on while the display remains black/blank (approximately 5 seconds).
4.) As soon as the LED turns off, the screen lights up grey.
5.) Remaining a blank grey for an excessive amount of time
6.) An Apple logo is then seen.
*7.) Then a progress indicator appears and the hard drive sounds like their was a handful of sand thrown onto the "platter." This violent disk activity goes on for 45 seconds to a minute and a half). If I boot up after resetting the PRAM, it sounds more like a 5 gallon bucket was pored onto it and takes twice as long).
*8.) During the activity indicated in item 7, the two "Super Drives" spin up and continue to run regardless of weather or not a disk is loaded onto its tray. BTW This can be heard from just about every room in the house.
*9.) Screen goes black for a couple seconds, at the exact same time the routers, "Network Activity" LED flashes to on.
*10.) Then the routers "Network Activity" LED turns off and the screen reappears.
11.) This time with a horizontal bar graph. It proceeds to be filled in the usual manner, until full.
*12.) A blank "blue" screen flashes (3-8 seconds).
13.) Then the Log in screen finally Appears?

As I mentioned before, my system has been tampered with, via physical access. The culprit has extensive formal IT training and credentials. Naturally an expert with code, Unix, Linux, OS X and an extreme Hack enthusiast.

I appreciate any suggestions you might have.

However, if you are among the "nay sayers", you're input will be a waist of both of our time. I do not intend that to offend , nor insult anyones intelligence. Although the problem is complex, I am compelled to state very simply: "I have a problem, I must to resolve." I am grateful, none the less to anyone whom has taken the time to read this thread.
Please Help!!!!
Sincerely
DRV

* = indication that the boot process of this/my Mac Pro running Tiger OS X 10.4.8 is abnormal.

FYI Via Apple Hardware Test (Extensive) and Tech Tool Pro 4.2.5 (Advanced Suite): all hardware tests and threshold results check out as Passed or OK.

Have you tried logging in as another user (creating one if necessary)? Does all this happen then?

I imagine that if you installed a clean OS on it then the operating system shouldn't be exhibiting any software-related problems since it's basically a stock installation with nothing else, especially if you wiped out the original partitions and created new ones. This leads me to believe that it might in fact be a hardware issue.

If you're hearing sounds emanating from the hard drive that isn't normal, then it's possible that your hard drive has failed. Of course, your mention of other anomalies might suggest that there's more than one piece of hardware that's having problems. I recommend taking it back to Apple if it's still under warranty and have them take a look at it. Any Apple Store will surely take a look at it.

*7.) Then a progress indicator appears and the hard drive sounds like their was a handful of sand thrown onto the "platter." This violent disk activity goes on for 45 seconds to a minute and a half). If I boot up after resetting the PRAM, it sounds more like a 5 gallon bucket was pored onto it and takes twice as long).

If that isn't a symptom of a hardware problem, I don't know what is. A failing hard drive or even a failing drive controller could cause all of the symptoms you describe. I'd get it looked at by an Apple technician.

Back