name for spec. characters in a font

mspain77

Registered
I am looking for the typographical name for those special ornament type things that generally are used as decoration at the bottom of a letterhead or poem or something.
I have been told 'cartouche', but that's not what I'm looking for. Google isn't helping.
I believe that it starts with an 'e', like 'emb...' or something. Does this ring a bell with anyone. Come on typographers, help me out! Thanks everybody!

Woodtype Ornaments, perhaps. Do you have a link to an example? Might help.

Also, fonts.com has a great font search feature that might narrow down other Ornament and/or Dingbat fonts that might have the characters you need.

It would stand out if I were to hear it again. Embellishments isn't it, but thank you.
Nato-
I'm not looking for a particular FONT, or a SPECIFIC ornament. I am looking for a NAME for these types of things to type into a keyword search in Google or something. That usually provides better results, and then I can just live trace it to vector if I like.
I have already looked through Woodtype Ornaments and I don't like anything there. Thanks to you too.
Any others?

YES!!! FLOURISHES!!! Thanks a lot lurk! And to all of you others for your help.
Nato-just google 'flourish' and that's what I meant. It's very hard for me to describe.

I understand that, but 'E' is right next to 'F' in the alphabet, as is 'L' and 'M', so I'm okay with that. I don't feel it was a rigid standard, otherwise you wouldn't have offered a suggestion outside of that suggested criteria.

Nato-
I understand that linked page shows flourishes, but not from the home page of fonts.com, and without knowing what keyword to search for, how would I have found that particular page?

You probably wouldn't have, and that gets us back to my original point. It's hard to find what you're looking for if you don't know what it is and can't show an example. ;)

However, we answered the question so please, someone: Kill this post.

Nato-
I like your site and your portfoio stuff. I hope you didn't misinterpret my posts as ill hearted, as they were not. It looks like I scared Trip. ;) Oh well. So you're in San Diego too, huh? Interesting.

Mission Hills. My colleauge it a great designer and does web too. He lives in Northpark off of 31st. We go to Bluefoot a lot now. We (his name's Matt) are always looking to expand our circle and network with other talent. We even call each other at work whenever we need quick help that we can't get from thr forum.

Very cool! Hey, go to my website get my email address and shoot me a quick note.

Ever heard of SDDA (myspace creative group for SD)? AIGA?

Quark, where have ya been?! There have been quite a few quark xpress posts lately, none of which had your advice attached to them. Got worried you had disappeared! ;)

Back