Name Your Greatest Desires (features in X)

jove

Hello,

What features would you like to see in X. The following are my top ones. I believe the first three are slated for 10.2.

1) ATI Graphics Acceleration (10.2)
2) Printer Sharing (10.2)
3) Spring Loaded Folders (10.2)
4) More "Location" settings control
6) Video Conferencing
7) Better integration between iPhoto and the Screen Savers
8) Some form of an active desktop (live information, animation, and etc)

I want options other than just "Aqua" and "Graphite." I should be able to make my scroll bars any color I like.

I want all the stupid video problems that come with classic apps to go away (i.e. how they make the dock white instead of translucent)
Wait what I mean to say is that I want to never have to use classic again.

faster iDisk

I want a web browser that doesn't suck (they all do under X.)

I'll think of more.

-Privilege bound labes together with user group administration.

Let me explain:

When I give a file the label "Project 1", it becomes read/write for my (work)group. If I set a file to "Private", it becomes read/write for me only. Etc. etc., could be modified so that it asks you if you want to set the permissions.

That would rock if you ask me. At the moment, managing privileges in OS X without the terminal is a pain!

-Virtual Desktops with desktop independant docks.

-Themes

-Networking...what is implemented at the moment can't be called "networking"

I want the thing from WinXPee. (Sorry for that) That if you logout all programms are still in the background. You dont really log out. That rocks! :(

And InstantOn for my computer. (Is it already availble for the iMac???):)

Originally posted by Alexandert
And InstantOn for my computer. (Is it already availble for the iMac???):)

Yup. Just put your computer to sleep. Then when you're ready to use it again, wake it up. It'll be instantly on :)

Here are some things I'd like from the top of my head:

- More energy-control, like OS 9 where you can set seperate settings for battery vs. power cord attached.
- Multiple logons, like WinXP where processes are put to sleep when another user logs in.
- Faster Finder, faster menues, faster application launches, faster EVERYTHING!
- Feature to browse Windows networks, in "Connect to server" finder dialog.
- Same logon dialog as AppleTalk servers when connecting to SMB-volumes. (for keychain support etc.)
- A preview drawer in Finder windows, that can be toggled. That way people can decide themselfes if they want a preview, in all Finder views. (column, icon, list)
- Longer battery life, as in OS 9.

THEMES!

I want THEMES! Or at least make it so Third Parties can make Theme utilities. And make it so an older theme doesn't cripple the OS! You know what I mean. Replace the HIToolBox.rsrc file with one from an older version and the OS instantly dies. Blue screen anyone? And make it EASY to make to OS look how you want it to. In fact, BUNDLE an editor with the OS! Oh, the fun I could have if I had the utilities.

LABELS!

Well, actually, I'd really like to have Badges. You know, like that Nautilus Linux has. What it is is you can apply a little picture on top of the files icon. (Sort of like the Alias arrow or the Locked file icon.) The icon could be whatever you want it to be. And make it so you can have as many as you want. Not just 7. Either Badges or bring back the old colored Labels. Make them dynamic. Make it so you can have whatever color you want. As many colors available as you want. make it so if you transfer the file to another computer that doesn't have the same list of labels the file will retain it's color. DYNAMIC LABELS.

Is the "deep sleep" in OSX the same as Windoze's "hibernate" feature?

I really like that about windoze 2000(and it's the ONLY thing I DO like:D )

If you guys don't know, the hibernate feature writes the state of windoze to disk and shuts off the power to the computer, thus letting it start up really fast.

If deep sleep isn't the same, then this would be a welcomed feature in OSX.

Originally posted by devonferns
If you guys don't know, the hibernate feature writes the state of windoze to disk and shuts off the power to the computer, thus letting it start up really fast.

Exactly what the Lisa did back in 1983. Press the glowing Power Button and everything is written to the disk and the power goes off. Press it again and the computer loads everything from the disk back into memory.

It'd be nice to see that on a Mac again.

Is the "deep sleep" in OSX the same as Windoze's "hibernate" feature?

No, it's not the same thing, and OS X sleep function is way better than hibernate. When I put my G4 desktop to sleep, it uses very little energy as it puts everything on the computer too sleep, expect the little light on the front of the case glowing. When I press a key on the keyboard it comes to life again, and the process takes less than 2 seconds. On Windows with hibernate it takes at least 30 seconds (at least on my WinXP box).

On my iBook it's even better. I just close the lid and it goes to sleep. When I open it again it's awake even before I'm done opening it all the way! On our new "family"- Dell with WinXP this process takes 1 minute, at least!

So, I don't really see why we would need a hibernate feature.

Make my G4 400 run OSX as it does OS9 :D

OK, so it'll never happen, but I can dream can't I?:p

Hehe, I wish. I have a G4 400 myself, but I have to tell you that speed is not a big concern on this machine. It's a lot more annoying on my iBook 500, where things really can get slow sometimes... Things like browsing through menues and launching apps are just too slow! Apple sure has a lot of optimizing work left to do! (Yes, I do have faith that it'll get better)

Although Apple did a great job with sleep options in 9 (X still catching up), I still see a use for the hibernation feature.

At times the computer just needs to be turned off. Sleep does slowly erode battery life, especially in X. I have been on long flights strategizing the on/off/sleep times to get the most out of the battery. I have transported enough desktops where rebooting every time was a pain in the rump.

Hibernation would be a great time saver. Assuming the far superior I/O system and VM in X than in XP, the wake up from hibernation shouldn’t be any worse than waking up from sleep in 9 (over thirty seconds).

As far as the iBook 500 being too slow, I am hoping that once Apple writes those ATI drivers (can we thank the class action threat for that?) the processor will have more time doing more important things.

Originally posted by vikingstad

No, it's not the same thing, and OS X sleep function is way better than hibernate. When I put my G4 desktop to sleep, it uses very little energy as it puts everything on the computer too sleep, expect the little light on the front of the case glowing. When I press a key on the keyboard it comes to life again, and the process takes less than 2 seconds. On Windows with hibernate it takes at least 30 seconds (at least on my WinXP box).

On my iBook it's even better. I just close the lid and it goes to sleep. When I open it again it's awake even before I'm done opening it all the way! On our new "family"- Dell with WinXP this process takes 1 minute, at least!

So, I don't really see why we would need a hibernate feature.

But, you can't unplug the computer when it's in deep sleep can you? I'm not sure if you can with the hibernate feature, but I'm pretty sure that you can.

It's kind of like VPC's save state function. You put your computer in hibernation, take it somewhere, and wake it up, and it's faster than doing a cold boot.

On my pc it takes about 10-15 seconds to come out of hibernation.

Oh, and the only reason I use the hibernation over sleep on my pc is because the pc's sleep doesn't turn off all of the numerous fans to keep the thing cool.

There's a setting in the bios to turn off the cpu fan but I don't trust it not to fry my cpu, since it's happend to me once already.:mad:

- location manager support (such that is in OS 9)
- energy saver support (such that it is in OS 9)
- Apple needs to hire the guy who writes SNAX, cuz that fofils almost all my wishes for the OS X Finder

My wish for OS X would be a tabbed/more customizable Dock. The Dock is great, but when you're switching applications, ASM does the job much better.

Originally posted by simX
My wish for OS X would be a tabbed/more customizable Dock. The Dock is great, but when you're switching applications, ASM does the job much better.

I agree. There should be some kind of tabbed dock option, where you could have one tab for internet, another for utilities and so on. Kind of like DragThing but more "OS X like".

Back