nano and windows xp

sinclair_tm

wow, 1.4g is way faster!
co-worker just got a 4gig nano for his wife. he installed itunes. windows sees it, and mounts it like it should, but itunes says something about there being a problem with the software needed for the ipod, please uninstall and reinstall itunes. i just spent 3 hours uninstalling, reinstalling, repairing itunes and ipod software with no luck. i even followed apple's instructions but to no avail. from what i can tell from watching the process manager, after an install, ipodservices.exe is running. but when i launch itunes, another ipodservices.exe starts, then stops, the the one that was running stops, then i get the ipod software missing error. i even tried starting the service by hand, but still got the error. after a restart, ipodservices.exe is not running, nor does it try to start when itunes is launched. i did notice that on my computer, i also have an ituneshelper.exe running, but his did not. is there anyone out there that can tell me if i need this too, and if so, how to get it on his computer. if i can't get this nano to work on his computer, then he's taking it back and buying an iriver. i brought it home, and it works just fine on my mac and win xp box., so its not the ipod. my deadline is monday, please help me get this working.
btw, i'm no dummy when it comes to mac or windows, so you can be technical in your response. also, his usb is only v1.1. according to apple, that doesn't matter, only that it will be slower. but if someone out there knows better, let me know.

While it wasn't with the nano, I did have the problem with iTunes where it would tell you that something was wrong and you would have to reinstall iTunes. What I've done which fixed that issue for me is uninstall both iTunes AND QuickTime, rebooted the PC, and then reinstalled iTunes (which will already come with QuickTime), rebooted the PC again, and then launch it. Yeah, it's a pain in the tookus but it's worked for me. :D

Back