Nano question: Sync with USB 1.1?

Damrod

Registered
So I'm considering getting an iPod Nano. I have a G4 MDD, which means it has FireWire and USB 1.1 The Specs by Apple for the Nano state that it syncs with USB 2.0.

Does that mean it is not compatible with USB 1.1? Is there maybe an adapter for FireWire, or do I have to get myself an USB 2.0-PCI controller for my G4?

Thanks for your input in advance :)

I'd try using it with USB 1.1 (dunno if that works) but look at USB 2 PCI cards all the same. They shouldn't be too expensive nowadays and work out of the box. You'll enjoy faster synching with USB 2, anyway. The iPod nano does _not_ work with FireWire.

The Nano does work with USB 1.1... and the only thing that Firewire is good for is powering the device (no data transfer).

And when I say that USB 1.1 works, it isn't very fast but it does transfer data and power the device.

So maybe you don't really need a faster port. The one synch that _will_ be slow is the first one, when you have to transfer all of your music to the iPod nano. Subsequent synchs will be quicker, since you'll only update the database and add new tracks (and delete old ones...). Since I personally think that synching can never be fast enough ("instant" would do, I guess...), you might still want to upgrade to USB-2.

Thanks for the info, I guess I should really consider a USB-2.0-card should I get a Nano. Too bad I an not really turn my 3G into cash :( They bring almost nothing on eBay

Back