Napster CEO rips Apple

omg. i would not want anything that uses windows mediaprayer format in my music player.

so most of the music on my ipod and music library is acquired the same way fryke;s music is. from cds.

that article makes napster sound very unfascinating. :rolleyes:

Some how the name HP Digital Music Player just doesn't roll off the tongue.

Wanna bet the street name becomes Hi-Pod or H-Pod?

citizentony said:
You probably already know this, but Apple makes 35c per song sold. 25c goes to distribution, 10c goes into their pocket. Not much, but neither is the 99c song.

As for Napster, they were DOA and I can't figure out why they even tried to come back as a pay service. It was one of the dumbest moves of this century.

Itunes is the only online store that will ever get my dollar and I don't even use an iPod, I burn the music to disc then re-import it as a non-protected file to run on my iRiver IHP-120.

i dont know how much apple makes... but the ITMS as a whole is not profitable !!! it has running costs... and has been mentioned many times by Steve and others... that the ITMS is not profitable :) its only a way to sell iPods !

I agree with you AndyChrist. The name HP Digital Music Player is too long. The name is clear as to what it is though.

LOL!
I think the HP iPod goes well with the HP iPaq.
And ALL my music is from CDs; actually I'm ripping a stack as I write :)

Using his ROAD example...

But what if that road kicks ass and always gets you where you want to go? What if I don't want to drive down Crap Lane? What if all the other roads are filled with potholes?

I like my nice shiny new road.

MisterMe said:
To the contrary, 10c/song is a tremendous profit. That is better than 10% profit which is better than Apple's profit on the iPod, G5, and the rest of its hardware. Where do you get your numbers?

I get my number from the link below and every other article about the store. Although it may be a large percentage (10%) it's still only 10c per download which takes a long time to add up to a substantional ammount. Quoting Mr. Jobs, "$500 million in annual sales would add up to a paltry $50 million profit."

soulseek said:
i dont know how much apple makes... but the ITMS as a whole is not profitable !!! it has running costs... and has been mentioned many times by Steve and others... that the ITMS is not profitable its only a way to sell iPods !

As I said above you, they are making a profit, just not a large one. The running costs are taken out of their ~35c in the form of ~25c leaving ~10c per song profit.

iTMS article said:
Jobs has one more reason not to be concerned about the competition. "The dirty little secret of all this is there's no way to make money on these stores," he says. For every 99¢ Apple gets from your credit card, 65¢ goes straight to the music label. Another quarter or so gets eaten up by distribution costs. At most, Jobs is left with a dime per track, so even $500 million in annual sales would add up to a paltry $50 million profit. Why even bother? "Because we're selling iPods," Jobs says, grinning.

Time Magazine iTMS article

BTW: I like this quote from that same article. "That may make iTunes the most benign-looking Trojan Horse in software history."

I'm pretty sure that Apple doesn't _only_ want to sell iPods. They see a profit from iTMS in the future. And while 10 cents isn't much, if more and more songs are sold this way, it just adds up. And Apple will probably become better in this and will make more profit, once the market synchronises... (in a few years?)

The real name of the game is getting the AAC & Freeplay to be the standard for electronic audio. My opinion is that Apple should work furiously with Real Networks, and other companies. Perhaps also offer rebadged versions of its iTMS to companies that want to make endeavors into the music downloading business like Virgins attempts.
http://yahoo.businessweek.com/technology/content/mar2004/tc20040310_2724_PG2_tc056.htm
Okay, so I don't agree with the article that Apple will learn a lesson from them, but it may be advantageous for Apple to license out its iTMS store to expand into these new arenas.

Hello,

******** works seamlessly with the ipod. Additionaly, I have a uber huge library of CD's and considering what Napster is something that's getting killed by Apple and that Apple actually makes money while napster isn't I'd consider the following:

Sell my Napster stock and buy Apple.

What?!? You mean you didn't own Apple stock already? You actually bought Napster? That was doomed from the start.

Back