Napster - Windows Only

bobw

The Late: SuperMacMod
"A small faction of anti-pigopolist soldiers have launched an attack against Penn State University's new campus-wide music deal with Napster.

"Seniors Joe Jarzab and Chad Lindell have peppered the Penn State campus with flyers, urging students to boycott buying music and to block the music labels' domination of music royalties. The students mobilized after Penn State earlier this week announced a deal with Napster to provide free music downloads to collegians as part of a DRM-laced program. The university is paying the Napster service fee out of its annual IT budget - a fund to which students must contribute $160 per semester....

"Students can opt to pay 99 cents to burn the songs on a CD, but even then there is another catch. Napster is a Windows-only service, so all the Mac fans out there receive squat for their $160 contribution to the IT fund," although a PSU spokesman is quoted saying that "Napster has some Mac software in beta that would allow songs to be played on Apple computers...."

For the full report, visit here.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/33864.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/33900.html

I downloaded that crap software onto my Athlon box. It looks and acts just like Real player, which we all know is a bloated, over-written and under optimized junk pile of code. Maybe when Napster 3.0 rolls out they might have a chance. haha. In any case, it's no threat to iTunes and I really wouldn't want it on my Mac anyway. Would you?

Good, the more problematic it is, the quicker it will die. Just like the other music store (which no one talks about any more). Napster was great in its day, but the ease of iTMS is unequaled.

What's wrong with a little competition to the iTMS? It's not like there's only one "right" grocery store or fast food chain, and all the rest are imposters or imitators.

That being said, what's wrong with the competition? A lot...

Competition is fine, but these Windows-only stores knock Macs, knock Mac users and knock iTMS by bringing up the "small fraction of computer users" stuff rather than fairly debating the merits of each store. Look at how many are ripping off iTMS; that's what irks me. Then again, if you look at the numbers, it's hard to argue, even for a Wintellietubie.

Heh, well that "small fraction of computer users" bought more songs through the iTMS (before the Windows version even) than any other service combined.

Incidentally, the Mac userbase is MOST likely to convert to a music STORE, as opposed to a leeching system, like KaZaA, since they often choose to pay a little more for a system that all WORKS together and looks pretty. Equatable to downloading better quality songs (AAC) from an easier to use and far more attractive store, which works perfectly on your Mac and doesn't feel like they're keeping a watchful eye on you (DRM, anyone), and they don't mind spending a little money to get those advantages. Most PC-users see a store offerring the same thing that KaZaA offers, only they're charging money for it.

Despite bitrates etc often being alot worse, and it being illegal.

What's more, the Mac filesharing community was hugely undersupported, in the case of LimeWire, ugly and... well, un-Mac.

So it was always going to be a nice idea on Macs - an idea that Windows companies tried to get a piece of.

Unfortunately, Apple had thought of that - iTMS PC :).

NOW INTERNATIONAL SALES is all that remains :).

arden said:
What's wrong with a little competition to the iTMS? It's not like there's only one "right" grocery store or fast food chain, and all the rest are imposters or imitators.

That being said, what's wrong with the competition? A lot...

Nothing is wrong with a little competition. Nothing at all. The point I was making is that Napster is NO COMPETITION to iTMS. If is can't compete with iTMS on quality of software, delivery, interface, etc., then it can not be considered "competition". Does that clear things up? I would actually like to see some real quality piece of software come along as compete with iTMS. That would probably drive prices down, which we all like. ;-)

And we didn't read M$ making a statement about this or qualifying it as a "Limited Choice" for consumer like they have when iTunes was released for Wintel.

Well, of course not, they aren't going to qualify something they actually support as "limiting" or anything. I mean, just look at Windows. (Well, don't look at it if you don't have to... ;))

Back