Nasty new Worm slows down the internet...

hulkaros

The Incredible...
Browse here:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,845336,00.asp

"A worm that attacks known vulnerabilities in Microsoft Corp.'s SQL Server..."

If the vulnerabilities were know why to the hell M$ didn't do anything about them?

Is it because the more money they have the less they care about anything else? And I have people asking me how come and I'm hard towards the Wintel platform... The above example I think is one of the billions reasons that I MUST be hard at Wintels! :mad:

MS released a patch for this vulnerability in July i believe. its hardly their fault system admins dont secure their system.

what i don't get is why do people have to be destructive and build Viruses, Worms, Trojans ect. ???!!!! i think it's just a waste of time!

It's systems admins and/or uper management's fault for wanting to use a MS product in the first place! After all this time - haven't they learned yet? :p

A few more of these and I'll have my client convinced to abandon MS and go all Linux. :D

Yeah, I manage MS Servers and a MS SQL Server - and I'm so sick of this bull. :p

Originally posted by kendall
MS released a patch for this vulnerability in July i believe. its hardly their fault system admins dont secure their system.

Admit for once that M$ doesn't care for holes in their systems! What could they do? Instead of sending to admins emails with ads of their products and offers, they should bomb them with news and tools of security problems...

But hey, in order to send similar stuff they should know them first, isn't it? And guess what? Many times they even try to hide such things from the public... Unless another company comes along and lets the public know what's hot and what's not...

As for the previous known patch as the story of the post said it was somewhat hard to install and even when one installed it, even if one little thing didn't go according to plan still the system was open to attacks... And my question is: How come yesterday/today M$ released a NEW patch that covers the hole at once? At least to me that's curious to say the least, isn't it? Hmmmmm... :rolleyes:

my ISP was down yesterday :p
I logged in using my school's ISP (slow and expensive because I live in a different area code) and even my ISP's website was down!

The att server must not of been effected since i'm always connecting at 26400-28000bps."L"
But seriously, admins and school systems do it to themselves when they pruchase 30-60 pc's and expect them to be invulnerable.
Microsoft Windows is the titanic of the computer industry. Eventually they are going down, down down to the sea.

Originally posted by stealth
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/01/20030125173855.shtml

the worm affected a large part of the internet. and macrumors.com was unavailable for a few hours as well as many other important websites!
macosrumors.com is not available (i dont know if its due to the worm)
I'd be really surprised...

Acording to NetCraft, the macrumors.com site runs on Linux/Apache and not WinDoze/IIS:
The site www.macrumors.com is running Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) mod_gzip/1.3.19.1a mod_log_bytes/0.3 mod_bwlimited/1.0 PHP/4.2.2 FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 mod_ssl/2.8.9 OpenSSL/0.9.6b on Linux
Does the worm infect Unix/Linux boes running the Front Page extensions?

Originally posted by TommyWillB
I'd be really surprised...

Acording to NetCraft, the macrumors.com site runs on Linux/Apache and not WinDoze/IIS:Does the worm infect Unix/Linux boes running the Front Page extensions?

Did you read what was linked?

The worm affected _everything_. It was effectively a denial of service attack and shut down routers due to the volume of traffic.

Also if you read the link, you'd see MacRumors' entire hosting provider went down under the "attack"

Originally posted by Excalibur
Bingo!

For the previous known patch as the story of the post said it was somewhat hard to install and even when one installed it, even if one little thing didn't go according to plan still the system was open to attacks... And my question is: How come yesterday/today M$ released a NEW patch that covers the hole at once? At least to me that's curious to say the least, isn't it? Hmmmmm... And in case people still don't get: July's patch = Problematic with this Worm VERSUS 25/26 Jan 2003 patch = Worm is harmless...

HMMMMMM...:rolleyes:

From The Register:

"Of course, Microsoft have made our jobs easier (not!) by having two different patches that need to be installed for SQL Server 2000 and Microsoft Data Engine (MSDE), although there's very little to tell the difference between the two installations so as to target them correctly. Not to mention conflicting security bulletins, and a service pack that needs to be installed before the patch can be applied," he adds.

I don't know about you, but I just installed SP3 for MS Office 2K and it disabled an Access database I need to use at work.

Frankly, with the track record MS has for unexpected nastiness with upgrades I don't really blame people for installing as few patches as possible...

I can tell you now (as a person who maintains windows machines for part of his living) that everytime M$ gets a BRIGHT idea, divine inspiration that they have a security leak and they need to patch it, its hard for us to do it. Why? Because we need to take systems out of circulation in order to do it, when we take systems out of circulation to do it we are inconveniencing our customers so we wait on the patches and updates until business is perceived to be slow, by that time there are at least 10 critical updates to do and those take time.

I updated all of my department's PCs (XP) this january and for each machine there were at least 5 driver updates, 30 or so critical updates plus all the new windows XP updates that numbered somewhere in the teens. This took time to do and several reboots since some updates need other updates to be installed first before being installed. IF M$ has a more complete system then we would have less probs ;)

This is my job where I deal mostly with scheduling, customer service, and troubleshoot/repair. Imagine web servers and ISPs. They would have to make contigency plans for their data and customers everytime M$ sends out a criticalpatch, it would be hell! :eek:

At the bank I work at (one of the top 5 in the US) we were down most of monday. Other very large banks were screwed too. Really sucked for us and our customers.

Originally posted by Jet
what i don't get is why do people have to be destructive and build Viruses, Worms, Trojans ect. ???!!!! i think it's just a waste of time!

It creates work in the industry eg: a hacker/programer creates a virus email attack etc. then the cycle starts.

1) People ring the call centre's for support because somthings wrong (it costs a phone call)

2) intivirus developers create a cure (computer stores & consumers buy antivirus software)

2) They take it to a computer store (it costs them the repair/service fee)

and it gets much bigger like a chain reaction...:eek:

Quicksilver....so hackers are just instigators for these anti-virus companies unaware that they could be making money also?

Back