native Solaris 10 inst on New MacBook

macwhiz

Registered
Sorry if this been asked several times. Anyone here done Solaris 10 native install on new C2D MacBook/Pro ?. I'm planning to buy one if it runs without hassle. Thanks

i know it's possible using Parallels virtualization, which is full speed, but i' not sure if Boot Camp will let you dual boot. i have heard stories of Linux being installed in a dual boot environment, so i would suppose that it's theoretically possible.

i'm really worried about trackpad/mouse issues under Parallels. if it doesn't work, i'd have to buy a PC lappy :eek: :mad: .

Maybe he means with Solaris , though I haven't heard of any. Everything runs perfectly with windows, including two-finger scroll and 2 finger right click.

I have loaded Solaris 10 in a Parallels VM on mac pro and is working normally. I relly need to get soalris 8 & 9 Installed to run an older app though and havn't been able to get it to load.

Dan F.

I haven't tried setting up solaris on a mac specifically - however I thought I'd interject here with another point. Solaris supports EFI natively (Sparc systems use EFI too). Because of this, I would think you wouldn't need boot camp or anything special. Just partition, install, and go ...

That would be my guess. Once I get an intel Mac I too plan on installing Solaris 10.

I assume you could use rEFIt and Boot Camp like you would with GNU/Linux or FreeBSD. Do a Google search if you are unfamiliar with the usual dual boot setup.

Macwhiz, I hope you don't mind me asking, but why you would run Solaris on a MacBook or MBP (in favor of Mac OS X, GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, etc.)? I think of Solaris as strictly a server OS and certainly not meant for laptops. Instinct tells me that trackpad support and power management will be big issues. The only possible reason I can see for dual booting Solaris is if you have a Solaris server and you need to test web applications on your MacBook. But even then, your web applications would probably be written in Java EE, in which case Sun Microsystems would tell you that they can be "run anywhere." If you intend to use Solaris on a laptop for your daily computing needs, I would open Google Earth and look for the nearest psychiatric practice. I prefer Ratpoison and other keyboard-controlled window managers to Mac OS X's Aqua GUI, but even Aqua beats Solaris's Java Desktop System. Please clear up my confusion.

P.S. Don't construe this post as an anti-Solaris campaign. I like it for servers, I just don't think it has any purpose on a laptop.

I assume you could use rEFIt and Boot Camp like you would with GNU/Linux or FreeBSD. Do a Google search if you are unfamiliar with the usual dual boot setup.

Macwhiz, I hope you don't mind me asking, but why you would run Solaris on a MacBook or MBP (in favor of Mac OS X, GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, etc.)? I think of Solaris as strictly a server OS and certainly not meant for laptops. Instinct tells me that trackpad support and power management will be big issues. The only possible reason I can see for dual booting Solaris is if you have a Solaris server and you need to test web applications on your MacBook. But even then, your web applications would probably be written in Java EE, in which case Sun Microsystems would tell you that they can be "run anywhere." If you intend to use Solaris on a laptop for your daily computing needs, I would open Google Earth and look for the nearest psychiatric practice. I prefer Ratpoison and other keyboard-controlled window managers to Mac OS X's Aqua GUI, but even Aqua beats Solaris's Java Desktop System. Please clear up my confusion.

P.S. Don't construe this post as an anti-Solaris campaign. I like it for servers, I just don't think it has any purpose on a laptop.

Consider that it's kind of hard to familiarize yourself with another OS like Solaris when it's running on a production server. The nice thing about having it installed on a laptop is that it goes with you. He might not be using it as his main desktop, but as a learning tool to become more familiar with Solaris while running normal tasks in OS X. This is what I plan on doing with FreeBSD as I would love to learn that even more. I just don't have time to dedicate an install on a standalone computer and sit there to learn it. So I understand why macwhiz would want to do this, especially on his main laptop which is a Mac.

That's a good point, in fact one that I entirely overlooked. In that case I would recommend running Solaris in a virtual machine because it's a pain to alter a Mac's partition table when you will only need the OS for a period of time. But if the original poster needs Solaris permanently, I agree with your rEFIt recommendation.

I've got Solaris 10, but haven't installed it yet. I'd be interested in how it goes for anyone that gets it installed and wants to report how it goes.

Back