Need a decryption program... Help!

ChicagoLarry

Registered
First, does anyone have a suggestion as to where, exactly (on this forum or even elsewhere), I should post this question to get the most exposure and enhance my chances of getting an answer?

Second, and here's the question, does anyone know of any program I could use to decrypt and open old files, when I've forgotten the password?

I used to use Sentinel to lock individual files with a password. Now I want to open them, but forgot the password.

I'm not technically oriented, but I am guessing there might be a difference between FILES being encrypted (meaning the data itself) or the data itself not being encrypted but it just can't be opened and accessed without a password. Sentinel says "Locked with DES." Surely that will be a clue to someone, but in finding the definition of DES on the web, it is too technical for me to understand or to help me know what to do. Perhaps there is a program that can get around the password and then make the unencrypted data available. Or a program to guess passwords until it finds the right one. If the data itself is encrypted, them maybe that's a bigger task???

I think I started using Sentinel with Sys. 7.6, but I know it still worked as late as System 9. But not Sys X. I'd like to find a program that would work under either sys 9, or even X if that is possible, that would find sleuth out the correct password.

I'm imagining a program that I would just let run for days at a time while the correct password is searched for. Is there such a program?

I could give it some clues... I know some words or fragments, and some individual letters, that may have been part of the password. So if the program makes use of hints, I could give it some clues to start with.

I recall inquiring of the company, Sentinel, as to a back door. They said (true or not!) that a small island country once needed to open a computer or some files locked with Sentinel because a high government official had died and they needed access to the files... and this nation was willing to pay Sentinel any amount of money to help them unlock the files. Supposedly Sentinel had to decline this windfall, because they had no way to get around the locking system. Hmmm. Could be apocryphal.

Any help as to specific programs, or where to ask my question to get better traffic would be appreciated.

L.

I'm afraid so. DES encryption is fairly hard to crack, and only high-level intelligence agencies have this kind of capability (read that as NSA, Pentagon or CIA if you will). I recommend you do everything you can to remember the password ... it is the only key you have.

If you don't believe me, read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Encryption_Standard

symphonix said:
I'm afraid so. DES encryption is fairly hard to crack, and only high-level intelligence agencies have this kind of capability (read that as NSA, Pentagon or CIA if you will). I recommend you do everything you can to remember the password ... it is the only key you have.

If you don't believe me, read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Encryption_Standard
Whoa, yeah, unless you can get a hold of that machine, you're basically out of luck. Btw symphonix, your monkey scared me, I kept thinking I saw pixel movements from it, but everytime I'd look at it for like 10 seconds nothing would happen, then BAM, it blinks at me.

Back