Need a driver...

TimR

Registered
have a PPA International model P511-1912 external HDD enclosure. The later model P511-1943 comes with both mac and windows drivers (mine had windows only)...it works but I suspect this may be why i can't boot off this...anyone have this driver by any chance?? Can't find a copy online...

Thanks
Tim

How is that enclosure with the disc connected to your mac? USB or FW? Did you try holding the alt / option key after the chime to enter the option menu for all available boot devices?

Thanks for the info guys, its a USB and Firewire device, I am using it on the firewire bus. It should be bootable but I just get a blank grey screen (lcd monitor, looks like a bunch of tiny, tiny little squares)...I'm not sure I need a driver anyway, I think the only drivers are for earlier USB systems.

I also found out its the prolific 3507 chipset so that doesn't give me much hope but as simple storage it is pretty awesome and does look good. No corruption issues so far.

If I restart holding down the option key it does NOT show up as one of the bootable discs. System profiler says its bootable. It shows up in the list of startup discs (once into system preferences). Techtool 4 says all is well except under the volumes it says "attributes file" and "startup file" both "not present" (but it then says tests passed). It has a full install of 10.3.8 and I can see no difference between the files on this volume and my normal startup drive.

Its not really a big deal, I have two hard drives internally and both boot fine, plus edrive and system discs but it would be nice if I could get this thing to boot.

Just to make it more interesting, I finally made the plunge to OS 10 only...used 9.2.2 most of the time and finally got all the software I needed to carry on using OS 10 so did that Jan 1 this year. I see the error of my ways now, 10 really is great but I don't know my way around it internally very well yet.

Any thoughts??

Thanks
Tim

I believe that's a USB enclosure. You can't boot from USB (Into X).

Beginning with the Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics) and the iMac (Slot-Loading), two new features to USB are most apparent: support for USB audio devices and booting from USB drive.

Chances are, that drive isn't bootable.

Well the prolific website says that the 3507 is bootable...so go figure. Probably more BS.

Next time oxford chipset for sure...

later
Tim

Back