Need a wireless print server recommendation.

OrganLeroy

Registered
I'm going to buy an Epson R380 inkjet printer, and I want to be able to print on it from both my Powerbook and my wife's PC (running Windows XP). I also want to place the printer across the room from both computers, and we have an Airport network up and running, so a wireless print server seems to be the way to go.

The Linksys WPS54G seems to get decent reviews. Has anyone had luck with this device in a Mac-and-PC environment? Any other recommendations?

Airport Express is a great print server option. Not very manageable but it works like a charm.

That seems like an excellent idea. I assume I'll need a Gutenprint driver, as those seem to work well with Epson printers. Has anyone had a good experience using Airport Express as a print server with the Epson R380?

I found this link (from user gsahli), which seems to be a good walkthrough for setting up wireless network printing. I just don't know if it will work using Airport Express as a print server:

http://macosx.com/tech-support/wireless-printing-help-epson-stylus/332862.html

Using Airport Express is easier, and in most cases you can use the original Epson USB-only driver, so your print quality will be better, too. (Apple has implemented USB to Airport Express port "redirection," so the USB driver will thus work over a network.)

Using Airport Express is easier, and in most cases you can use the original Epson USB-only driver, so your print quality will be better, too. (Apple has implemented USB to Airport Express port "redirection," so the USB driver will thus work over a network.)

That's excellent. Thanks for all your help.

Back