Need advice on buying a laptop

iluvosx

Registered
Friends,

I am planning to buy a Powerbook - and I am a little confused as to whether I go for a high-end 15" or 17". Is there any known problem with a 17" ? Any recommendations ?

Thanks very much.

To me, the 17" is too big and bulky...
Do you need it for mobility or function/power?

I'd go for a supped up 15" myself.

Couldn't afford it so I have the 12". :)

Hmmm...

Depends on your need for speed and power and how rugged you need it to be. The iBooks are much more rugged than the powerbooks. The 14" is a nice choice. I went for te 12" not just for price but for the small size. My parents have a pb like sogni's and one trip through airport security and it was damaged. The cases seem to be less rugged to me. If you plan to tote it everywhere with you i would go with the iBook.

I agree with speedfreak, G4 iBooks are a great deal. But, if I was buying a laptop tomorrow it would be the 12" powerbook with superdrive..small formfactor, good processor speed and beautiful styling. I own a 15" powerbook and I tend to bring it to college and work almost everyday. It is showing the wear and tear now, paint coming off in places, the odd small ding in the cover and wear at the corners in particular. A 12" would be lighter and easier to lug around. Simple guideline really: if you need to lug it around get iBook or 12" powerbook, if you need horsepower get 15" or 17" powerbook.

12" PowerBook and if that seems small, 15" then it would be my choice! :D

I know! I have a 15" already :p but that tiny beauty of 12" is SOOOOOOOOOOOO sweet! ;)

I just had the choice at work between a 12" and a 14" Dell (same 1024x786 resolution). I chose the 14" so that I can really work on the screen without killing my eyes. Bigger would be too bulky to carry.

If you don't need to carry your computer, you could consider a 17" (or even 20") iMac: it gives you more power for less $.

15" is the way to go. It's got all the power you'll need, is small enough to carry with you and will impress anyone seeing the screen opened. But I'd also go with the 14" iBook if price is a factor and you want portability.

Back