Need help adding a Mac OS X 10.4.2 Client to Active Directory Network

ogicu812

Registered
After a little persuasion my company decided to get me a new Mac for development. It's the only one in the company, and we have been trying for the last couple days to get internet access. Here are the specs:

PowerPC G5 running Mac OS X 10.4.2
Windows 2003 Server with Active Directory

I have a user account in Active Directory with admin rights. If I login to any Windows PC everything is fine. I created an admin user account on the new Mac, but it's just a local account (ie, not my network user name). The Mac is finding all the network folders just fine and the Network Diagnostics tool shows all green lights. I have an IP address and everything, but when I open Safari (or any other browser) I get the message that the server could not be found. (I can't load any pages.)

With my limited networking knowledge, I would assume that I could set up the Mac to accept my network user name and password at the main login screen when it starts up. Once I am authenticated on the network then I assume I would be able to have internet access. (I have been granted the internet access right in Active Directory.)

Starting from the beginning, what are the steps to being able to log into the network from my Mac and have internet access? It seems like a lot of the forum posts here and elsewhere deal with OS X 10.3 or Windows 2000 server. I've looked all over for help and have messed around with the Directory Access utility, but to no avail! :(

Thanks!

part 1
internet access.
If you have a valid IP adress and the only problem you are having is no internet access, it sounds like your company is using a web proxy.
Hopefully they are NOT using M$ ISA server. look in IE on your windows machien under network configurations, and see if anything is under proxy settings.
Most times corp. use a file ending in *.pac to configue proxy access. the .pac file if a simple text file telling the computer how to route traffic going to the outside world. an example would be <i>"http://company.example.com/proxy.pac"</i> you can configure the proxy access on your mac under system prefs.

ISA(and some cisco)does have an AD authentication "feature" used to track who goes where. I dont have any expirence configuring this.

part 2.
AD authentication in OSX.
open the directory access app.(in utils)
under services, add a check mark next to active directory. select configure.
in the field active directory forest, you need to supply the FQDN of your AD enviroment. computer ID will be the name of you computer object created in AD.
press bind.
(you will need a domain admin level account to add the computer, or a account that has been delegated with permision to create computer objects in AD)

if you didnt get any strange errors look in AD to see if the object was created.
still in directory access select authentication, slecet custom path and hit add. Add AD and make sure it appears at the top of the list.

thats about it.

Yes, depending on how you've setup your 2003 Active Directory (AD) environment, you'll have to add the Mac's COMPUTER account to AD as suggested by mikepak, but it seems you can access shares no problem so...
Where I work, nobody access anything server-based in AD unless the computer they are using has an account itself in AD.
But that won't be the cause of the no web browsing/no internet problem.
Sounds like a proxy problem to me if you're able to browse network shares.

Back