Need help creating a user in phpMyAdmin

stephan

I want to create a user in MySQL that can read, write, create and delete records in several tables in a database. How do I do this using phpMyAdmin?

I'm attaching a screendump of phpMyAdmin where I think I shall create this user. Is this the right place?

Lets call the database "mydatabase" and the server "powermacg4.mydomain.com". The server has the ip x.x.x.x. And the website that is going to use the content in mydatabase is running on apache on the same computer.

I used to use eSuite4X to install MySQL and administrate it, but now, I installed MySQL with the "MySQL Manager" in Utilities (OS X Server 10.2), and I'm gonna use phpMyAdmin to administrate it.

When using dreamweaver and eSuite4X the conection-file looked like this:
PHP:
<?php
# FileName="Connection_php_mysql.htm"
# Type="MYSQL"
# HTTP="true"
$hostname_dbconnection = "x.x.x.x:3306";
$database_dbconnection = "mydatabase";
$username_dbconnection = "user";
$password_dbconnection = "password";
$dbconnection = mysql_pconnect($hostname_dbconnection, $username_dbconnection, $password_dbconnection) or die(mysql_error());
?>
Shall I leave this file as it is if the user I create is named "user" and has the password "password"?

Ok. Since there seems like no one knows how to do this, I had to figure it out myself ;)

Accually I got lucky. MacWorld (sweden) that I got this friday, had a great how-to on PHP & MySQL.

1. Click "home" in the left frame.
2. Click "Users" in the right frame
3. Under "Add a new user":
- Chose "host" and enter a valid host (localhost, myhost.mydomain.com etc.)
- enter userid
- enter password
- check select, update, insert and delete

4. Go
5. Click "home"(left frame) and then click relaod MySQl in the right.

Done!

You can limit a users acces to just one database and specify other privileges under "grants". Good luck.

Back