Need help decrypting 19GB file with PGP 8.0 on MacOSX10.3.2

malexgreen

Contributor and PB User
Hi all: I was able to back up my user area to my Lacie drive, compress, and then encrypt as a file using PGP 8.x on my PB running Macosx 10.3.2. Unfortunately, I am now trying to decrypt this file, which is 19GB in size.

PGP starts to decrypt, and creates two zip files from what was a single zip file: one of the files is 4GB in size and the other is 14GB in size. PGP then errors out with the "PGP unexpectedly quit" message. When I try to unzip these files either with BOMArchive of Stuffit expander 8.x the zip files cannot be unziped.

Is there some other thing I can do to recover this file? Do I need to maybe use a machine with more horse power to decrypt and unzip this 19GB file? Thanks.

The "horsepower" of your Mac is not the issue unless you are out of disk space or RAM with a file that big. More likely it is PGP itself. Your best bet would be to check with PGP to see if there are known issues. Also be sure you have the latest version of PGP which is 8.0.3 which among other enhancements provides different plugins for Jaguar and Panther.

Next time you might try creating an encrypted .dmg file using Disk Utility.

Back