Need help for home PC/Mac networking

mseydel

truculent
My girlfriend moved in with her Dell, and it makes me realize that I've got to get a wireless router that will allow both my systems and her PC laptop system to function under one roof. Her machine is a Dell Inspiron 8200 running Windows XP, and I've got a G4 Dual 867 Mirror Door running OS 10.2.8, as well as a G3 iBook 800 running 10.2.8 that did not come equipped with an Airport card. I have Comcast Digital Cable with an old Surfboard SB4100 Modem... So what are my best options for a router that will work with our 3 machines, and what will I need for my Macs and her PC to get us up and running? I believe that my iBook will not support Airport Extreme, so it may be severely handicapped in our new wireless world...but I is it worthwhile to bother with an Airport Extreme card for my G4 tower?

I would just get any Airport card you can for your machines and buy a cheap Linksys wireless router and a cheap USB or Internal wireless adapter for the Dell. The Airport cards will work great with a linksys router. And you can get them cheap too, under 80 bucks. I wouldn't worry too much about Airport Extreme(802.11g) over regular Airport(802.11b) 11mbs is still pretty quick, and good enough for what you would most likely need it for.

Hope this helps! Merry Christmas and good luck with the girl!

Back