need help in deciding my next laptop

dtmdoc

UC Gundam Freak
I currently have an iBook which is great, but I yearn to get
a G4 for on the go stuff. Currently, i'm doing research and
do work on image manipulation in addition to word processing, and making presentations.

My dilemma is this... Which powerbook to get?

I do like the 12" AlBook on paper except for the limitation
of max memory and the lack of L3 cache. However it
seems that it isnt much faster than a top of the line iBook.
On the other hand, I do think I can get a leftover 15" TiBook
(667 or 800) for about the same amount of money. I
would love to get the 17" but I cant afford it.

So, I was wondering if I could hear some opinions?

Thanks.

15" TiBook sounds like the one for you.
I do the same kind of stuff with my ibook but so far can't change it to any PB :( ..

well I would love the 15 inch powerbook if it was UPDATED with the Aluminum casing, built in bluetooth, etc...

BUT...

I placed an order for the 17 incher... I'm worried everyday that its going to be too big to carry around... BUT then again its only 2 inches wider than the 15 inch book... and VERY SLIGHTLY deeper (.7)

i am only concerned about the warping and flaking of the
Ti.

Is it almost endemic or only an unlucky few who experience
that.

Originally posted by dtmdoc
i am only concerned about the warping and flaking of the
Ti.

Is it almost endemic or only an unlucky few who experience
that.

No warping or flaking here. I am pretty rough on my TiBook because I am in school. I constant ly carry it in my backpack (it does have a laptop compartment). The only paint that has chipped of is because I bumped it at the corner a few times (bumped it hard enough to make my heart skip a beat).

Overall I am surprised at how tough the TiBook is! It's not as tough as an iBook, but it is so not as fragile as some people said.

The AirPort reception on my Ti 500 is okay ever since I've applied the trick of removing the battery and applying a bit of pressure on the outer shell, then putting the battery back in. I get almost the same reception as on my friend's iBook 12" now.

A Ti 800 sounds like a good deal if you don't exactly NEED Bluetooth or AirPort Extreme. I'd go for that.

Yet, I'm still saving money for my next 'book myself, and I think it's either going to be a maxxed out iBook 12" or an (almost) empty TinyBook.

i dont need extreme as i dont have a need
to get a new base station... bluetooth is
nice but not critical to own internally.
im leaning to the 667 or 800 ti now.

Back