Need help logging into my iBook g4!!!!!!

Tory77

Registered
Hi, Im having trouble logging into my laptop. It takes forever to get past the grey screen with the pinwheel. A couple of wks ago I could only get the blue screen of death and nothing else now sometimes it just skips the "starting mac osx part and goes straight to the login part but my username and passwords won't work the screen just shakes. I tried doing the whole single user mode (fsky -y), pressing alt, zapping the pram etc. I don't have the start up disks(they're in another country). However when I do log into single user mode I get the cannot find root user message. I don't know if that's why I can't log on?

I know my laptop is a piece of crap (5yrs old, keyboard is broken and among other things) I just want to get a few things off of it.
Also would it help to know that I was playing around with a magnitized remote before this all happened and it made a strange noise...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the user-account is somehow disabled. Try starting up from the original installation disk to reset the password(s). You say you don't have them, but you need them.
If you really "played around" with a "magnitized remote" (what's that, why did you do it and why's it magnetized?) you might have erased parts of the harddrive. Which could mean you lost data.

And yeah: Get rid of that light pink. It's reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally annoying.

(EDIT: I did that for you now.)

Reactions: ora
Sounds like the user-account is somehow disabled. Try starting up from the original installation disk to reset the password(s). You say you don't have them, but you need them.
If you really "played around" with a "magnitized remote" (what's that, why did you do it and why's it magnetized?) you might have erased parts of the harddrive. Which could mean you lost data.

And yeah: Get rid of that light pink. It's reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally annoying.

(EDIT: I did that for you now.)
Uhm, sorry about the pink! ^_^ it's just my favorite color. The remote for my tv is magnitized at the bottom, so it can stick to the headboard of my bed I guess. And I put the remote on the bottom of the laptop near the mouse pad and I heard a weird noise... My sister and brother think I erased the hard drive
:( do you think I should just forget trying to fix this and get a new one? Is there no way to fix this?

If the harddrive's been demagnetized, you probably could reformat it and install the system and data again. You need the installation disk and a backup for that, obviously.

And I put the remote on the bottom of the laptop near the mouse pad and I heard a weird noise... My sister and brother think I erased the hard drive. . . .

Yes, what probably happened was[Stop that!--Ed.] . . . right, sorry . . . you may have either erased the HD or enough of it to screw things up.

If you have critical irreplaceable data, you can consider a program like Disk Warrior or Tech Tools to see if you can find the files. If not, the cost of those programs will buy you a new internal HD. However, installation disks are, on Ebay and the like are cheaper, and if you boot off of that, you might be able to see and save files to an External HD or even burn a disk. External HDs are now much cheaper, so get one of those, back up daily, and then you will be happy but not as happy as Jennifer Lopez's thong fitter, but who is?

--J.D.

Try getting a copy of Ubuntu that works on PPC (I downloaded one, and got it going on my iBook), mount the hard drive, and try and get your files. Then either re-install Mac OSX, or get a new Mac.

Back