Need help setting up and configuring PINE

chemistry_geek

Registered
I installed PINE and need a little help setting up and configuring it. I can send messages out, I just can't receive them. How do I setup PINE to check my ISP INBOX. I know how to do this in Netscape and Mac OS X, I just can't find the appropriate field to enter the domain name for my INBOX. Any suggestions?

My incoming mail server is popd.ix.netcom.com. I don't see a field to enter this data. The SMTP server was not a problem.

chemistry_geek

I actually, finally, figured it out this morning, i used the

{pop3servername/pop3/userid=myuserid}INBOX as my inbox name

worked great!

i also tried using fetchmail but that didn't work, it said that it couldn't create the /var/myuserid/mail directory, it seems that even though I am the administrator, I don't have "root" privledges...and i can't login as root or su or whatever. I'll figure it out sooner or later I suppose

bye. macosx is so cool!

i also tried using fetchmail but that didn't work, it said that it couldn't create the /var/myuserid/mail directory, it seems that even though I am the administrator, I don't have "root" privledges...and i can't login as root or su or whatever. I'll figure it out sooner or later I suppose
You won't be able to su unless you have root login enabled from NetInfo. There's a howto on this.

Alternatively, you can issue a sudo command without enabling root login.

You can also logout and log back in as the superuser. Under the "other" user in the login window, type username

root

and then enter the root user password and you're in. MAKE SURE YOU WRITE DOWN THE ROOT USER PASSWORD EXTERNAL TO YOUR COMPUTER.

MAKE SURE YOU WRITE DOWN THE ROOT USER PASSWORD EXTERNAL TO YOUR COMPUTER.
Yeah, preferably on a little yellow sticky that says
Root password is "foo"

:rolleyes:

Or you could just use a good password scheme...

I need to set up a SMTP server, but I don't know what I am doing wrong...
I get this error message:

Sending error: 553 mkwan.local does not exist

I am trying to connect to the ISP's smtp server. I can receive emails just not send them

e.g. "smtp.telusplanet.net" <--- where do I put this?

any help will be appreciated!

mkwan

Back