Need HELP w/ Mac Virtual PC

seantm

Registered
Hello all and TIA.

I'm trying to install and run Virtual PC for MAC v 6.51 on an older series E-mac running Panther v. 10.3.5. I keep getting the following error message:

"MAC Virtual PC must be installed on an extended volume HSS+. Please reinstall onto a an extended volume."

This drive was recently re-formatted using the unix file sytem base. It has just the one 8 GB partition. I'm not sure what "extended volume or HSS+ " means or how to go about creating one --can someone provide some guidance here? Thanks!

seantm said:
Hello all and TIA.

I'm trying to install and run Virtual PC for MAC v 6.51 on an older series E-mac running Panther v. 10.3.5. I keep getting the following error message:

"MAC Virtual PC must be installed on an extended volume HSS+. Please reinstall onto a an extended volume."

This drive was recently re-formatted using the unix file sytem base. It has just the one 8 GB partition. I'm not sure what "extended volume or HSS+ " means or how to go about creating one --can someone provide some guidance here? Thanks!
First there is no 6.51 version of VPC. The most recent version of VPC 6.x is VPC 6.1.1. Next, there is no such thing as HSS+. There is, however, a file system introduced with MacOS 8.1 named HFS+. Next, you are generally warned not to use the Unix file system unless you specifically need it. Classic doesn't work on UFS volumes. It would appear that neither does VPC.

A word to the wise: When you don't know what you are doing, use the defaults. And--if things are working, don't change them.

Extended (HFS+) is what you get when you format an HD with
Disk Utility. It's a Mac, not a Unix, format. And VPC doesn't
like that. Reformat.

Another name for HFS+ that you will find used in Apple's Disk Utility is Mac OS Extended or Mac OS Extended (journaled). Journaling is a feature that can be turned on or off at the user's discretion using Disk Utility or any number of third party apps.

Back