Need help w/ speakers and new iMac

Bluefusion

Into the Breach
I just got the new iMac (and LOVE it, btw)... I was very very impressed with the external Pro Speakers (they DEFINITELY are clearer than the last series that shipped with the Cube by quite a bit), and was originally using an Altec Lansing ATP3 system, which is still the best computer audio system under $150 I've ever heard. However, my dad needs an audio solution and I gave him my Altecs (for the time being), since these Pro Speakers cannot work with any computer that does not have a Pro Speaker jack (they are NOT usb)Anyway, I'm considering getting an iSub for these beauties, as they already sound quite good but lack the low-end detail of the Altec Lansings. What I need to be sure of is that the iSub will work seamlessly with my new iMac (remember, these Pro Speakers are NOT USB, they use Apple's proprietary "pro speaker" jack on the new iMac) and that they will work fine in OS X. I need to know this because I have been getting conflicting messages... some people have said that the iSub only works with the old iMacs' built-in speakers (which are Harmon/Kardon Odysseys, IIRC), and websites seem to list the iSub as "compatible with G4s with Pro Speakers" (which still doesn't answer whether they'll work with the NEW iMac's NEW style of Pro Speaker, which is previously unknown.

Can anyone help? Oh, and by the way, if anyone's done this successfully, how does it sound? I did not find the SoundSticks to be as good sounding as my Altec Lansings, as they required much more directional positioning, but these round speakers sound MUCH better than the satellites of my Altec Lansing system, so I would think that adding a subwoofer would greatly increase the system's abilities.

I am on the new iMac with the Pro speakers and iSub. Works and sounds great!
with one exception, no problems for this last month.

For a while I kept getting static through the iSub. totally random, and it would work for days fine and then start up again.. I looked it up at harman Kardon website, and it said the iSub cannot be plugged into a USB hub.. ( gets static..) I switched it out and plugged it in the back of the iMac, no problems since...

I also believe that there is no way to control the volume of the iSub separately in Mac OS X... but that might not be a problem. Just thought I'd let you know.

Yea, no iSub control.. bit of a bummer, but unless you use headphones, it works great.. volume matches the Pro speakers..

( when you plug in headphones.. the iSub doesn't turn off... -- :mad: what ever.. )

and a note about the static.. I had it happen briefly this morning.. but it seems to fix itself.. I read around and it is a bug ( hopefully apple is fixing..), but it doesn't happen as much if directly plugged into the computer..

even with the problems.. I love apple and OSX =)

I'm kinda confused, I've been thinking of getting a iSub for my iMac DV. You said it won't turn off when you put in headphones?

Originally posted by cclear
Yea, no iSub control.. bit of a bummer, but unless you use headphones, it works great.. volume matches the Pro speakers..

( when you plug in headphones.. the iSub doesn't turn off... -- :mad: what ever.. )

and a note about the static.. I had it happen briefly this morning.. but it seems to fix itself.. I read around and it is a bug ( hopefully apple is fixing..), but it doesn't happen as much if directly plugged into the computer..

even with the problems.. I love apple and OSX =)

Nope; there is no switch on the iSub at all, so you'd have to unplug it from the USB port if you don't want to use it with headphones. Seems a shame for a $60 sub-woofer, but that's the way it is for now. I only paid about $75 for my Monsoon flat panel speakers, with a sub-woofer and the s/w has both a power switch and a volume switch.

Back