Need Help with a FireWire HDD

mpbnl8182

Registered
Hi all,

I am doing some work for a graphics department who have all their work stored on an 80GB SmartDisk Firewire HDD. There seems to be some sort of problem with the drive -- it reads extraordinarily slowly, crashing the finder in X, and freezing the computer in 9 at times. Normally, i'd just format the drive and try to see if it will work then, but it's the data that is the most important thing here. Does any one know of any utilities that may help?

MP

Ok, I've tried diskwarrior and disk utility, and nothing doing. I was wondering, do you think the problem might be with the enclosure, rather than the physical drive? Does anyone know if these drives are just standard IDE drives in firewire cases (it's a SmartDisk Desktop Drive, I forget if I mentioned that). If that's the case, perhaps taking the drive out of the enclosure and putting it inside the tower might work... otherwise, I don't know what to do. It's important that I save as much as possible of these files.

Yes, they are regular IDE drives inside FireWire enclosures. Putting that drive inside a tower could yield better results.

Just for kicks, did those utility programs report any kind of problems with the drive itself?

Back