Need help with an old Clamshell iBook!

sourskittles2

Registered
I work on computers for a living, and have never had any real problems PC or Mac, but this time I am quite litterally looking for some extra help! A friends son bought an old iBook Clamshell laptop from his school, but the problem lies here. They didn't give him any restore disks, nor did they wipe the hard drive and start over.

I'm at a total loss as to what software was on this machine, and what software to reinstall with, nor can I test to see if the CD-Rom is working either. I have also tried to burn a copy of Panther 9.x.x and burn it via Power ISO, in both ISO and DMG formats, but nothing appears when the Mac is turned on, and I've tried pressing the C button to get it to load. I'm not very familiar with Macs, but I learn fast. Now what?

Thanks! All I know about the machine is it's model number: M6411

Kim

Can't you boot up the laptop to the current system and get more information about the computer? By nothing that comes up on the screen, does that mean there is no floppy disk icon that shows up or even a grey screen? If theres a iBook came with Mac OS 9.0.4, can run up to 10.4.11. I'm not sure what you mean by Panther 9.x.x, after all Panther is 10.3. Panther requires 128MB of RAM and the discs were distributed on both DVD and CD's. The iBook you are referring to could either have a DVD or CD-Rom drive. I'm guessing that you burned a DVD or Panther and the iBook might only have a CD-Rom drive. I would test with CDs just to make sure.

All I can get to is a log in screen. Can't log in to get any information. I've tried both CDs and DVDs. I'll look into the 10.3 OSX though. Thanks for that info.

I'm going to contact the school distric and see if they have any restore discs. This is rediculous trying to find software for a Mac thats about 10 years younger than me (give or take a few years). Stupid school districts

Back