need help with setting up users for new studio course

closer

Registered
I’m running a small network of 35 - 40 eMacs and a few imacs (all 10.3+) off a dual G5 server (also use a G4 server as our proxy server) at a school. I’m also starting a new 9 week Media Studio course in January with 5 students... Web Design, Video Production, DTP, sound manip, DVD authoring etc... right now all work is saved to the G5 server, but with the increase in time spent on Studio work, I’d like to set up a lab where the students will use a single workstation to save their files... hoping to cut down on network traffic and troubles while using iMovie, Final Cut Express etc.... _but_ while they are with me for 4 periods a day, they will also be with two other teachers in other rooms, and will not have access to their primary workstations... they will, however, be doing most of their writing and research in these other rooms... Is there an easy way to set up 2 “homes” for the students, or do I have to set 2 specific logins for them (one for the server and one for the lab workstation)? I still want them to be able to take the text they have developed then saved on the server and throw it into their DTP, or web page on the WS while in working back with me in the lab...

then to throw another wrench in... there will be numerous group projects (newpapers - electronic and traditional, web sites, movies) that they will be collaborating on and I also need them to be able to all have access to these areas as well...

any thoughts, hints... things to stay away from?

programs I’m using are:

Dreamweaver MX
Flash MX
Freehand 10
PhotoShop Elements 2
iMovie
Final Cut Express
Swift Publisher
Maya
GarageBand
Audacity
AppleWorks

Here's a pretty easy way to do it:

Enable Personal File Sharing in the "Sharing" Preferences menu of your workstations.

Then, if you've assigned static IP addresses to each of the workstations (which would be a good idea), then your students can choose Connect to Server from the Go menu in Finder, enter their workstation's IP address, then username and password (of the computer they're connecting to), and access their files from any computer within the network.

Or when they choose "Connect to server" they can click "Browse" to bring up the whole list of computers (with file sharing on) and then select their computer and enter their user/pass.

The result should be the workstation's hard drive will appear on the desktop of the computer the student is using.

That's how I've always done it. Just make sure you have File Sharing enabled, or the worksation won't be visible on the network. Good Luck!

As for the Group access... If you have the project owner place the file in the "Public" folder of their User folder, then anyone can access it by logging into their IP as "guest" instead of "Registered User". Thus, a whole team can access the same file without everyone knowing everyone else's login.

Note: Be careful...those eMacs don't have very large hard drives. Working with iMovie and Final Cut Express can really fill up a drive quickly.

Back