Need help with WMP for mac

MrSasquatch

Registered
I downloaded Windows Media Player and used stuffit expander to open it. If I go to applications and open WMP it'll open a window so it seems to have been installed. What I need is it to work when I'm watching things like tomgreen.com or ebaumsworld or things like that where the video is inside the browser. What do I need to do?

I accidentally posted this in the other forum, and they gave me a link to Flip4it but it says it won't work on intel systems. Is there anything else?

“Support for Apple’s new Intel-based products is a top priority for us,” said Dan Castles, CEO of Telestream. “With over a million downloads of the Windows Media Components for QuickTime to date, user response has exceeded our expectations. We are not only committed to ongoing support and development, but also look forward to releasing additional important new features and product enhancements which are currently in process.”

I'm fairly sure that's about as far as you're going to get. That is, unless somebody knows a workaround... but I've never seen anything but Flip4Mac actually work in browsers.

I downloaded Windows Media Player and used stuffit expander to open it. If I go to applications and open WMP it'll open a window so it seems to have been installed. What I need is it to work when I'm watching things like tomgreen.com or ebaumsworld or things like that where the video is inside the browser. What do I need to do?

I accidentally posted this in the other forum, and they gave me a link to Flip4it but it says it won't work on intel systems. Is there anything else?

On an Intel Mac?
Happening This is simply because Windows Media Player is a PPC application, while Safari is a Universal Binary. In short, because Safari is running as an Intel process, it can't tell the OS that it needs to open the Windows Media Player plugin through Rosetta.

The fix is to head on over to your Applications folder, click on Safari and Get Info (Command-I) and check the little box saying "Open using Rosetta." This will force Safari to run through Rosetta, and thus restore function of your various non-Intel plugins. I discovered this while having a problem with Shockwave.

Until universal versions of Shockwave and Flip4Mac (which I couldn't get to work right even on my PPC) are released, you might want to do what I did. Remove the checkmark from the "Open using Rosetta" box, close the Info window and head back to Applications. Highlight the Safari icon, copy it and paste it back into Applications. Click on the filename and renamed it "Safari-Rosetta" or something similar. On this icon only, do Command-I again, and recheck the Rosetta option. I then dragged the second Safari icon to my Dock, to the right of the original.

This give you a quick, native version of Safari for all your general websites, and a version that will run in Rosetta mode as it's needed for those sites requiring Windows Media and Shockwave and whatever else. Effective, and easily un-doable when updates are ready.

Hope this helps (and makes sense!)

That link doesn't work for me. Can I get a working one? Thanks.

EDIT: I saw the right link in another topic so never mind. Now, I thought that this was supposed to be able to play streaming video on the internet. Is there something that does?

It is able to play streaming video from the Internet and given the Plug-In section of its preference pane, it's supposed to work within your browser.

Popwire WMV-9 Component for QuickTime is the competing product which has been Universal for some time.

... Now, I thought that this was supposed to be able to play streaming video on the internet. Is there something that does?
Flip4Mac and PopWire can handle streaming video in most circumstances. Unfortunately, some sites are setup in such as way that the QuickTime codecs can't handle them. Another problem is that some streaming WMV is WMV 10. Nothing on the Mac can play WMV 10.

Back