Need ifconfig contents after X Windows install...

bebox

Registered
Hi All
I recently installed X windows/Fink and GIMP and have now found that my ifconfig file is completely shot for some very weird reason. The contents are now just gibberish and I have had to resort to my old dialup account to post this as it contained my PPPoE settings etc.
Can someone pls help me with the contents of a default ifconfig file please....

TIA

JAson

I think ifconfig is just a binary.. not sure what file you mean.

Give me a path or something, and I'll try and help. The only ifconfig-like things on my macosx box:

[mach4:~] kilowatt% locate ifconfig
/sbin/ifconfig
/usr/share/man/man8/ifconfig.8
[mach4:~] kilowatt% ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16290
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,b6,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 10.70.103.39 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.70.103.255
ether 00:03:93:0a:fe:0e
media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>) status: active
supported media: none autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex>
[mach4:~] kilowatt%

hi kilowatt
thanks for the reply..
yep i am a confirmed idiot...you are right it is binary so it should look like it does...hmmm..must be confused with another file i think.....where i saw all those settings..

anyway the problem is that since i installed X windows and try to run what you ran i get this...

[localhost:~] jason% ifconfig -a

OK? ipconfig -a? no
ifconfig: Command not found.

yikes!!....it is screwed!!.....i just need a clean file to replace it with i spose...

Thanks for your help
Jason

First, ifconfig is in /sbin, so maybe that's not in your path? Try /sbin/ifconfig -a and see if that works. If it still doesn't, what does ls -l /sbin/ifconfig say, maybe you just lost executable on it.

Back