Need input on my OS X upgrade technique

Zero

Mentos! The Freshmaker!
Here's the issue:

Network Appliances, a division of Quantum, sold our IT staff a Network Appliance (herein referred to as "NETAPP") server to use to replace our old main file server (which happened to double as an NT domain controller), and will be used primarily as a file sharing server.

What they didn't tell the analysts, is that their servers don't support Apple File Protocol (AFP)!!! :mad: x 2498308423423098

This issue on my campus that has forced OS X to be deployed a little prematurely (note my sarcasm), and I haven't had time to really formulate a good deployment plan (read: 3 days) for OS X.

After making sure that functionality (read: being able to connect to the NETAPP server via SMB) is obtained, I'm trying to coax speed in any areas that I can, because users right now complain that OS X is "too slow" (raises BS flag, but when it comes to end users, what can you do?). Here's what I'm doing right now to max out speed in the most cost-effective way possible (since IT equipment budgets are like null this year):

Note: The vast majority of users complaining are using the 1st generation, tray-loading iMacs.

1. Have users purchase a 40 GB IBM Deskstar 7,200 RPM, ATA-100 hard drive. Cost: $109.00.
2. Have users purchase a 256 MB PC-100/133 stick (or more, depending on financial situation). Cost: $72.00.
3. Purchase OS X license. Cost: $69.00.
4. Back up entire contents of hard drive currently inside computer to network, remove old drive, install new drive, then transfer backed up data to new hard drive.
5. Install RAM upgrade.
6. Boot off of 9.2.1 CD.
7. Run utility programs in the following order to optimize for maximum performance and conflict elimination:

* Alsoft DiskWarrior 2.1
* Norton Disk Doctor 7.0
* Norton Speed Disk 7.0
* Alsoft PlusOptimizer 2.1
* Micromat TechTool Pro 3.0.6

8. Update to OS 9.2.2 and apply update/upgrade patches to programs user uses on a daily basis.
9. Install OS 10.1.3.
10. Update to OS 10.1.4.
11. Configure Classic to open with the following extensions:

* Network-related (i.e. AppleTalk, TCP/IP, et al. needed for Outlook to function)
* File-Sharing (for online editing of documents and databases in apps that are not native yet.)
* Security-related (duh)

Everything else is disabled, since OS X has an equivalent of some sort.

12. Configure location via System Preferences -> Network:

On-Campus LAN:

Get address via DHCP server
DHCP naming convention: username_machine_osx
Domain to add to unqualified names: edcc.edu; edcc.ctc.edu
DNS servers: Dependent on on least amount of hops needed to reach closest DNS server.

13. Apply System Preferences modifications:

Dock: Switch window shrinking from "Genie effect" to "Shrinking effect"; eliminate bouncing icons in Dock when application is launched.

Login: User must type in user name and password to log in.

Energy Saver: Never put system or hard drive to sleep; power down monitor after 10 minutes of inactivity.

Screen Saver: Enabled, hot corners enabled, user must input password to regain control of computer for extra security.

Classic: Rebuild Desktop, never put Classic to sleep.

14. Hacks/add-ons: Log in as root, apply neato automatic compression of window memory hack to minimize wasted memory.

15. Security: Root account disabled, all users except tech support staff have no administrator access.

16. Install Virex 7, update engine and DATs.

17. Install Microsoft Office X.

18. Run Combined Updater for Microsoft Office X.

19. Import Favorites to IE 5.1 or NS 6.2 (both native versions). The powers that be have no intention of supporting Opera or a "non-mainstream" browser.

20. Repeat Step 8.

Is there anything I can do to improve on my upgrade technique?

TIA,

Z

no takers on this one, eh? all i can say is, i bet there will be tons of complaints about how slow OSX is on a early G3 iMac. what is that? 300MHz?

another solution to consider that is not nearly as drastic, would be to install DAVE on all the machines, keeping OS9 as the OS. that would let them get to the SMB server.

what exactly is a net appliance? is it something different than a server? why can t you put linux+netatalk on it?

Originally posted by lethe
no takers on this one, eh? all i can say is, i bet there will be tons of complaints about how slow OSX is on a early G3 iMac. what is that? 300MHz?

My God, you have no idea how many complaints I get about slow speed in OS X with the 1st gen iMacs and G3 towers. :(

I'm implementing every Terminal hack and OS X tweak I can think of to max out speed in OS X. At least when money gets better, people can always purchase the G4 processor upgrade...that, or buy a PC. :/

another solution to consider that is not nearly as drastic, would be to install DAVE on all the machines, keeping OS9 as the OS. that would let them get to the SMB server.

Well, as much as I wanted to stay with OS 9 (believe me, I wanted to); the powers that be said that they didn't want to resort to some quick "band aid" approach to fixing the problem. :(

what exactly is a net appliance? is it something different than a server? why can t you put linux+netatalk on it?

From Maxtor:

"Designed to meet your storage needs, the MaxAttach NAS 4000 series is optimized for storage consolidation and heterogeneous file serving. And, with the introduction of the new 4300 you have increased processing power, storage, and persistent storage manager snapshot technology. "

In English, it's like one giant hard drive that serves no other purpose than to store files for network users.

Heterogeneous my ass. Unless their definition of heterogeneous means "all computers with an x86 chip."

I wish I could answer a lot of the administrator questions, but I'm just a tech. :/

Back