Need ipfw help in Jaguar

deraven

Registered
OK, I'm not a total newbie at this, but I'm no guru either.

Am I smoking something, or should the last line in the ipfw rules definitely not be:

<pre>65535 allow ip from any to any</pre>

Doesn't that just allow everything not explicitly disallowed? If so, how do I get rid of that or change it to:

<pre>65535 deny ip from any to any</pre>
(since I already have all the other rules I need before it.)?

This was no problem in 10.1.x since I just setup IPFW and the GUI had nothing to do with it, but now that there's the "Firewall" section in System Preferences, it's tough to change things.

If I just try doing a <pre>sudo ipfw delete 65535</pre>, I get:

<pre>ipfw: rule 65535: setsockopt(IP_FW_DEL): Invalid argument</pre>

Of course, I can't just add the rule over the top of itself:

<pre>sudo ipfw add 65535 deny ip from any to any</pre>

because it returns that same error. If I try to add it after the last default rule:

<pre>sudo ipfw add 65536 deny ip from any to any</pre>

it just reassigns the rule number to something lower.

Now, if I'm just being silly and there's no problem having that rule there, fine... but I do have one other question.

How the heck do I get ipfw running in 10.2 without Apple's "Firewall" preferences overriding my rules?

If I turn the firewall off in System Preferences, I can't add any rules... and if I go turn it on manually from terminal, System Preferences sees it on and overrides my rules (just dumps in only what you have checked there and deletes everything else).

I tried putting in a script to run at startup that flushes the rules and puts in the ones I want, but System Preferences is relentless and resets them then as well.

I can change the rule set manually every time, but as soon as you look at the Sharing pane of System Preferences they're gone again.

Ideas? Thanks!

Yeah it does seem to be an odd default but i just use 65534 deny log all from any to any and then just allow what needs to be at higher numbers.

I'm not keen on paying $25 for Brickhouse since all it does is modify ipfw - I can do that myself if I can figure out how to keep Apple from stifling my efforts.

Perhaps I'll look into how and when Brickhouse makes it's modifications... they must get around System Preferences somehow... could be something simple I'm missing.

Back