Need like an A/V to DVI

Mystic Gohan

Registered
I dunno if anything exists like this, but I have an xbox 360 that I would love to play on my 30" Cinema Display. Is there any way of doing something like that with just a converter? or is there like some PCI card I would have to get to get this to work?

i suppose the easiest way to go about this would be to use some sort of FireWire to RCA plug media bridge. Then you could... record your gaming using iMovie, or, let people watch you play it in iChat, or.... alright, well, you get my point. Video via FireWire is easy and flexible...

I think there are some really great Media Bridges called EyeTV ....

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvmain2&PHPSESSID=17f0aa871c65e8d640f3be619d27cdf0

I'd go for a FireWire product, and not a USB one. You'll get a much better quality image via FireWire. So basically, Xbox signal goes into EyeTV via RCA cables, then EyeTV connects to your Mac via FireWire, and... well, your screens is hooked up to your Mac, right? :D There you go.

adambyte said:
i suppose the easiest way to go about this would be to use some sort of FireWire to RCA plug media bridge. Then you could... record your gaming using iMovie, or, let people watch you play it in iChat, or.... alright, well, you get my point. Video via FireWire is easy and flexible...

I think there are some really great Media Bridges called EyeTV ....

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvmain2&PHPSESSID=17f0aa871c65e8d640f3be619d27cdf0

I'd go for a FireWire product, and not a USB one. You'll get a much better quality image via FireWire. So basically, Xbox signal goes into EyeTV via RCA cables, then EyeTV connects to your Mac via FireWire, and... well, your screens is hooked up to your Mac, right? :D There you go.
The only problem with that is that you might have a slight lag from the time the signal leaves the xbox to the time it enters the screen. Perhaps not much of one, but enough. I can't say this for certain, but I know that there is a lag when I transfer video from my camcorder and to my computer..

eric2006 said:
The only problem with that is that you might have a slight lag from the time the signal leaves the xbox to the time it enters the screen. Perhaps not much of one, but enough. I can't say this for certain, but I know that there is a lag when I transfer video from my camcorder and to my computer..
You're kidding, right? Data moving over cables travel at a substantial fraction of the speed of light. If you are able to detect this delay, then you need to tryout for your local baseball team. You will never strike-out--ever.

To Mystic Gohan's question, he needs to just forget about it. The Xbox 360 uses component video for its highest resolution. It is also compatible with VGA. The game console is designed to use the home TV set as its display. It looks especially good on that new HDTV, which is probably less expensive than a 30" Cinema Display. However, this Apple monitor is substantial overkill. At native resolution, an Xbox 360 display will fit in one small corner of the Cinema Display. Expanded to fill the screen, it would not look particular good. Someone may sell a component video to DVI adapter. However, it is would be a waste of money on the 30" Cinema Display.

MisterMe said:
You're kidding, right? Data moving over cables travel at a substantial fraction of the speed of light. If you are able to detect this delay, then you need to tryout for your local baseball team. You will never strike-out--ever.
I can tell you for certain that there was a lag from the time a video played on my camcorder to the time it played/imported in iMovie. That's probably not relevant to this situation, but it could be. The lag was not from the cables, it was from the computer "rendering" the video into iMovie.

Then again, I have a 1 Ghz G4, you probably won't notice any lag on a G5..

Back