Need SCSI card for HD

According to my research, an Adaptec PowerDomain 29160 would be a good choice. It supports deep sleep under OSX, among other things, which is nice. As far as I know the Atto cards still don't support this.

From what I hear it is advisable to jumper your disk to be SCSI ID 0 to avoid some boot issues.

I received a reply on the Apple board suggesting that I try the scsi card in my G3. That's what I used to use for that hard drive so I figure it's worth a shot! It's already configured at Bus 0. It's an old Atto card that Apple shipped in my G3 when I first bought it.

I don't put my computers to sleep so that's not a problem for me. Does anyone know of any other reason why I shouldn't try the scsi card from my G3?

Well, that idea just went *poof*! :(

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60190

ATTO SCSI cards that were included with the Macintosh Server G3 prior to 1999-01 cannot be used in the Macintosh Server G3 (Blue and White). Attempting to use these cards in a Macintosh Server G3 (Blue and White) with Mac OS X Server will result in a SCSI driver initialization failure.

My G3 is indeed the Macintosh Server G3, built in Jan 1998. While the discussion only mentions using the card in a B&W G3 running OS X Server, I very highly suspect I'd experience the very same problems if I tried running the card in my G4 running OS X.

Looks like I see a new scsi card coming into my life in the near future. I'm back to needing suggestions on which card to get. Any other recommendations?

Even if it were compatible with OSX, your old Apple OEM (ATTO) SCSI card would be a poor choice for your Ultra160 drive as the card would not support the full speed your drive is capable of. To get your money's worth out of an Ultra160 drive, get an Ultra160 card, such as the PowerDomain 29160 I recommended above, or an Atto UL3S.

Thanks for the recommendation! I just placed my order for the Adaptec PowerDomain 29160. I just happened to call Adaptec 12 minutes before their $100 rebate offer expired so this ended up being a very timely thread for me. :)

Back