Need some help with a iShuffle

cheekymac

Registered
I don't know if it's just an option that needs to be checked or what the problem is, but here is the situation.

I bought a pink ishuffle for my mum for her birthday, she will give it to me to put songs on it for her. If I take the songs out of itunes or off the computer the next time I plug in the shuffle those songs will disappear off the shuffle as well.

I don't want to have to keep all the songs on my computer (or in itunes) but that is the only way at the moment for them to stay on the ishuffle.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Remember that iTunes is what manages the songs on your iPod shuffle. If you remove them from there, the iPod shuffle will do the same. You can remove them from your library without deleting them completely, but the changes will be synced back to the iPod shuffle.

What you can do is see about getting an external hard drive and moving your iTunes folder to that drive. This way, you free up the space on your main system drive and still have enough space on the external drive to hold all your music.

Is it only iShuffle that works that way?

I have a nano and I can delete them off the computer and out of itunes and they are still saved on the nano.

It's not my shuffle so I don't really want to get an external drive just for itunes. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Is there no way for the songs to be saved on the shuffle?

The Shuffle shouldn't handle song sync'ing any differently than the Nano. Once you have the Shuffle set up with the songs you want, switch to manual syncing.

Do you know where you can set it to manual syncing? I know where for the Nano but can't find it with the shuffle.

Sorry, if it is not on the same page, then I have no idea.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    91 KB · Views: 16
No there isn't that option the page is a little different than the ipod page.

Anyone else know how to stop them from disappearing off the ishuffle if I take them off the computer/itunes?

Thanks

what you can do is create a new user on your mac (or on windows). this will have a clean itunes on it, which you can have as your mother's itunes library. this way you can keep your music seperate from your mum's, and everyone's happy. just log in to the alternative account to sync your mother's ipod.

I don't care if they are in itunes or on the computer for that matter, but they take up too much space on the computer.

So I want them to be save on the shuffle so I can delete them off the computer.

(Like I do for my nano)

While this is possible to do with iPods and iTunes, it's not the way they were intended to be used. "Syncing" the iPod implies that the shuffle will be a partial "mirror" of what's on your computer -- if it's not on the computer, it "shouldn't" be on the iPod.

The idea is that the iPod is kind of like a "satellite" to the computer -- you can take some of your computer's music with you. Having music on the iPod that is not also on the computer is counter-intuitive to the "syncing" idea.

The iPod shuffle is a "special" iPod, in that it lacks certain features that the other iPods have, mainly the ability to manually sync music (and thus have songs on the iPod that are not on the computer):

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300657

That article, on the other hand, specifically mentions this:
Can I manually add music or do I have to use the Autofill feature?
You can manually drag songs from your iTunes library or other playlist to the iPod shuffle icon.

What I take that to mean, though, is that when you connect the shuffle, it will auto-fill automatically, but then you have the option after that to manually drag songs over to the shuffle.

Back