Need Some Help with a Mixed Network

mr_boo

Registered
Hi Everyone,
My knowledge in networking is very limited, and I'm trying to help troubleshoot an issue; so needless to say, I'm very new to this.

Well here goes. The current network environment is a Mac OS X server running Panther (I don't know which version at the moment, sorry). All the other computers on the network are PCs running Windows 2000.

Well, the principal problem is that people have been complaining how their PCs have been operating very slowly. For example, opening Internet Explorer can sometimes take very long, or even double clicking on "My Computer" can take several seconds.

Well, I figured out that when the users login, they login into the Domain of the OS X server. I'm not quite sure why they're doing this, and exactly what's happening. You see I'm not exactly sure what Active Directory is, so does this have to do with this? The person I spoke to that works there said that they login into the file server domain so that all the files are located on the server (for backup purposes). But as far as I can tell, all the files are local on the computer anyways. I just don't quite understand why they don't work locally on their computers (and just map to the file server), and come up with a different backup system, if the files are indeed getting backed up. I think because everyone (~20 people or so) logs into the file server in this way, it just bogs the whole network down. When I logged in on the PC as the administrator and to the computer itself (not the domain), all normal PC operations were speedy.

Well, the memory on their PC computers is also on the low end (128 MB), so maybe a memory upgrade will help?

I sorry for the very beginner type questions. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Honestly? This sounds like you might want to get someone to come in and evaluate your network. This could be the network itself, DNS, server or desktop related.

Mac OS X Server can host an Open Directory domain and/or Windows PDC/NT style domains. What you do with them past there is really environmental.

Mac OS X Server does not include Active Directory. Active Directory is a Windows 2000/2003 technology that is likened to Apple's Open Directory. Apple does include an Active Directory plug-in which allows Mac OS X Server to be a member of an Active Directory domain.

Are you having issues with the speed of Mac OS X logins? Do you also have an Active Directory?

You have a lot of things going on there....folks here are happy to help, but if its impacting your live, corporate network, you may want to find alternative sources of help as well! :)

Back