need some help with an AVI file, please

kramm

Registered
im trying, desperately, to get some historic (AVI) video files of San Francisco to work. a specific one would be "a trip down market street" from 1905 found HERE. ive tried using quicktime and videoLAN, but neither work. are there any other players, im unaware of, that could play these files??

thanks in advance for any help. :)

In order for the link to download you CTRL+Click (right click if you prefer :p) and select Download Link to Disk or something like that... The link is actually that small red ball icon ;)

QuickTime and VLC do not seem able to play the video while the MPlayer X plays it but with artifacts, at least on the one of my Macs that I tried the video :eek: Give it a shot with MPlayer X :D

Also, you might try the following advice which I personally follow like a Gold rule:
-email that site (and whatever sites giving you bad Mac experience) in order for them to include support for other platforms as well and not only Windows which this seems to be the case :mad:

In some cases this method did wonders while in others they simply ignored me or replied back with bad words! :p

thanks.... just tried that player out but it didnt work. nothing happens at all. how did you get it to work hulkaros?

ill try emailing them and see what type of response i get. they have many more videos..... i find it all very very facinating.

yes, ive been anticipating Panther for a while now. i havent pre-ordered it yet cause i live right by an apple store. knowing my luck, the mail would get delayed or lost or something... so i figured ill just be at the store at 8.

ok, so ive upgraded to panther (finally) and can now test out these AVI files. what im getting looks like this (see attachment). is there anything i can do or use to get these files to play better? ive tried converting them with a couple apps and it coudnt even do that.

again, any help is appreciated.

oh, and a smaller file to test out and/or mess with can be found HERE.

Attachments

• SF1903.jpg
    SF1903.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 10
that's IV32 format. I'm not sure there is any good IV32 viewer for MacOSX.

I played it with WMP on VPC and took a snap shoot (attached)... it's not much better than what you got on Mplayer !

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 8
thats actually a lot better. the original movies were taken 100 years ago, so the quality isnt that great in the first place. when i played them on a windows machine it pretty much looked the same.

well, i think it might be a lost cause right now. thanks anyway for the help.

oh, something off topic that i found a bit funny. the attachments in this thread ONLY work properly in safari. they actually show up as little thumbnails. in netscape and IE, nothing shows up at all.

you're right, I tried with Mozilla 1.4 and Firebird 0.6 and no way to see the attachement. Only Safari is ok.

Let me try on Windows (heeerk!)

The AVI plays fine on my computer (see sig) and the thumbnails appear perfectly, too... maybe you need to try it in Classic.

Back