Need some partitioning help

Zeigan

Registered
I have a ti book with a 27 gb hard drive. When try to use disk utility to partition the drive, it says cannot initialize startup disk. Do i need a separate program? I dont really know what to do... Thanks

I don't think there's any way to partition a drive (on a Mac) without wiping it and reinstalling the OS and your files. If you are OK with doing that you will have to boot off of the OS9 CD to do it.

I was planning on doing that anyways. I like pcs cause you can fdisk anything. Anyways, how would you do that in Os 9? i havent done this with a mac before. Using disk utility or when you try to install Os9 or OsX? Thanks..

I was confused. You posted this in "Mac Classic System & Software." It didn't occur to me that "Disk Utility is an OSX app. If you boot off your OS 9 CD you'd use "Drive Setup" in the Utilities Folder. Since you're running the system off the CD you can now partition the internal hard drive. It will, of course, wipe the contents of that drive.

As far as doing it with OSX, I don't know. If you had another bootable drive to hook up to your laptop you could use "Disk Utility", but I'm not sure with the OSX CD. Sorry.

Thanks. I didnt realize i posted it into the Classic forum. The two forums are too close together.. anyways. Thanks for the help. I'll try that out after some basketball.

Back