Need some server howto links.

camgangrel21

Mac Programer
Hi I just got a copy of 10.4 sever up and running on my old 2x450 Mhz G4 Power Mac running 1.25 GB or RAM and to many big hard drive to list here. What I'm looking for is some good setup and howto on the web for this Server I would like to host my own site and maybe ever others for free. and I want to setup a email part to it to. 2nd I was looking at doing live streaming media from here to. Now if anyone know of some good howto's on the web please post them. And if I can get my email server up and running right I might even do free email hosting to. I allways try to give back to those that help out.

Ok what is going on here I became part of this board because I need help I got and have given it. I'm not asking to much here. I'm new to the OS X Server way of doing things. I use to M$ Windows way of doing things. When it come to setting up a server. All I'm looking for is some good How to on setting things up. I have 10.4 Server and no I get this software 3rd party ok. So just the software and the #'s to make it work that was all. No setup anything. And no the guy I got this from is in the Army right over in the mass G.W. has made for are man and woman. So no I can't talk to him to find out how to do anything. Please help out. I'm just looking for some links to good setup guides ok. Thank you all for your time.

Most of what you need to do is going to be through the Workgroup Manager. It has all the controls for web serving (using Apache) and other services like file sharing and the like.

You could do this on a regular client version of OS X, however it would require manually editing config files and such. OS X Server gives you a nice GUI interface with which to do this configuration instead of having to get your hands dirty with config files.

Forgive me if I'm a bit off with the latest version of OS X Server. The last time I played with Server version was at 10.1.x. :eek:

thank you. What I need to know everytime I open Workgrorp Manager It tells that I'm working on only my server workgroup but it will not be seen out on the web? What is it trying to tell me here. is my Server not being seen on the web? Could someone out there help me. When I installed I did not trun any serves on. I let them off. Now I'm trying to make a acount for my friend to VPN into my Server then back out to the internet.

Server installation should have walked you through getting connected to the internet. Can you log in as root or some other local user and surf to the outside using Safari? If no, start all over again with a clean install. And read Getting Started.

In order for your system to be "seen", you need a domain and an external name service to associate your domain name with your IP address. Contact your favorite ISP if you haven't done all this already.

Next see User Management to create new users.

Then see Network Services Administration for instructions to set up and turn on the VPN service.

So what you are saying that I need to get a dot com or dot net name and have that point to my IP address right? And yes I can get out to the net. Because all I was just wanting to do is have my friend point there VPN software at my IP not a domain name. I well setup one of those after I get the internet site setup. First thing first I need to have them be able to VPN to me then let them get back to the internet through me. That way there IP is not being given out. But thank you for that it does start to help some what.

Back