Need some suggestions for money management apps...

JPigford

I'm awesome...seriously..
Back in my heathen WinXP days I used Microsoft Money to manage all my finances, budget, etc. but after switching to Mac I just haven't really found anything I'm overly impressed with. I actually still have my PC and use Microsoft Money on it b/c I like it so much. So, I'm looking for suggestions for apps (free or commercial) for handling finances.

I have Quicken 2004. Its, shall we say, workable. Kind of a headache sometimes though. A bit complicated just to manage a few bank accounts and some investments. Problem is, all the apps I've tried for this purpose suck on one end or another.

iFinance, iBank, Moneydance, Money - ick. They all have significant shortcomings. Moneydance has promise, as does iBank, but I would never use either of them in their current state.

Moral of the story, Quicken is probably the only respectable choice. Bummer.

There is always MoneyDance 2005. It is written in Java, uses XML for the data files, and is truly cross platform. In some ways it is a bit quirky, but it handles multiple currencies and automatically compensates for current exchange rates and unlike most of the others, except Quicken, it supports on-line banking.

perfessor101 said:
There is always MoneyDance 2005. It is written in Java, uses XML for the data files, and is truly cross platform. In some ways it is a bit quirky, but it handles multiple currencies and automatically compensates for current exchange rates and unlike most of the others, except Quicken, it supports on-line banking.
Still using Q2004 for now, but in some respects MD does the online banking better than Quicken. Intuit screwed up the download formats a couple years ago and many banks/brokers no longer support downloads to the Mac. Your bank may be one of them so check very carefully first. MD works with many of those by simply using the Win Quicken format. But as others have said, it's a little rough yet, though I haven't had a chance yet to check out the just-released MD2005.

Support for MD is leagues ahead of anything from Intuit and that in itself is reason to look at it. MD reminds me of Quicken in it's very early days when the big dog was Managing Your Money. Anybody remember MYM? nuff said.

I did not like any of the ones i used and since i am, i think, proficient in filemaker i decided to make my own. it has gotten to be very complex, but i have been using it for a couple of years so far and have not noticed any mistakes in my formulas yet. it is still not complete yet, but if you want to test it out let me know. i have filemaker developer so i can make it a standalone solution so you will not need filemaker to run it. PM me if you want to see it.

Back