need to boot from 0S9

cormac

Registered
Hi y'all

Can anyone help me.

Ive bought a 1gtz G4 iMac that will only boot in OSX. Not like my older CRT iMac that will give me an option of both boot discs.

I have the machine partitioned with OS9 installed, but when I hold down the alt key at startup I dont get the option of using OS9. Same happens when I go to the startup disc area in the prefs. OS9 works fine though as Ive it set for classic.

I know the newer iMacs wont boot in OS9, but I also know theres a workaround for it .. I just dont know what it is.

Can anyone help?

Sorry cormac, Apple disabled the ability to boot in several of the new Macs, yours included. As far as I've heard, it's impossible.

Doug

You'd have to modify the firmware, and, unless you wrote it, that's something you don't want to do.

Several rumours said there were workarounds available, however I haven't yet seen a X-only computer boot into OS 9...

damn, but at the same time, this could be interesting. A friend of mine who runs a printing firm with quite a few macs tells me he has a workaround that he'll guide me thru ..so I'm going to take him on that hopefully tomorrow and if it works ... which looks like it cant work .. but if in the off chance it does, I'll post the procedure here.

Im not holding my breath though.... thanks for the replies.

There is a patch known to Apple system engineers that will permit booting into OS9. If you look at the last of the G4s being sold you'll see that they boot into OS9 while, six months ago, the identical machine did not.

Best find an Apple SE and shmooze him (or her).

Back