Need to copy thousands of files...

markguy

Registered
Hi... I'm trying to fix my wife's lack of a backup plan after her drive containing 50k photos tried to die. fsck got the drive back to a usable state, but... well, y'know. I set up an external drive and then ran into a couple of issues copying things (I'm a Linux/Windows guy, so apologies in advance). Searching the forums had a poor signal to noise ratio, so if I've overlooked something, please point me in the right direction.

1) iPhoto... I can't get it to tell me where it's physically stashing the images. I tried using Finder "All Images", but that appeared to run into a recursive loop, where it was moving files already on the external drive back to the external drive.

2) Copying 50k images basically crippled her Mac. It ran for 18 hours and moved a couple of thousand. And those might all have been 0Kb. That might have to do with the loop above, but is still not ideal.

Is there a best practice for this? I don't really want to set up an official backup plan yet, as the NAS is currently being rebuilt, but surely there's some way to copy a ton of photos to an external drive, right?

Appreciate the help... and so does my wife!

Wow. Ok, that wasn't (to me) intuitive, but I found iPhoto's Export option. I'll assume the spinning wheel means I'm back to being a hero again :)

Back