need to force quit system preferences

ptko

Registered
I have a 700MHZ Power PC G4 running Macos 10.4.11
I recently used this machine when I tried to replace a Dlink modem router with a Belkin (wireless/wired combination).
I used the quick setup wizard supplied on the startup/registration/manual disc but had no success.
Ever since, whenever I go into network system preference, I see a dialogue box stating "your network settings have been changed by another application."
I keep clicking ok and it keeps continually popping back up, my only option has been to force quit from the apple menu. I need help to sort this out please.
I Have since returned the Belkin and purchased a Netgear wired modem router, which I managed to set up using a laptop.
Our other macs are online but I'm having trouble connecting my G4 and since I can't access the system preferences I am unable to see to check the network settings.
I hope I have explained my problem sufficiently so that there is someone able to help.

Have eMac OSX 10.4.11. I too have exactly the same problem with having to force quit System Perf. with no access to Network settings. This started right after I upgraded to Safari 4.0.

Whoa! I spoke too soon. Safari 4.0 is not the problem. Was required to install Security Upgrade 2009-002 as a requirement to install Safari 4.0. More than likely the Security Upgrade is the culprit!

I went through the various fixes for this problem (in apple discussions, see Webexplorer link below) a thread that is 18 months long, and have concluded that ejp1684 and similar variations is the safest way to go until apple comes up with a patch,if ever. Other solutions create connectivity and other problems.

Last edited:
I have the exact same problem. I was hoping that somebody has the answer. I thought that it could be a hacker, but I doubt it.

I updated from 10.4 to 10.4.11. I have a little cutie iBook 600 Mhz and an internet cable. Now, I am using here on my G5 desktop. I need to bring my iBook for my vacation soon.

Hope that you have a great summer vacation!

Back