Need to reset master password

johndarko

Registered
Hello,

I recently purchased a used imac g4 from a friend but I cannot seem to get it started. I tried to log in with the master password but do not have the password or install disk for OSX. I asked my friend about it and he said the same thing, he lost the user and master password including install disk. I took the comp from his hands anyway, it's in new condition and he never really used it, just forgot about it I suppose. It also seems that on startup the mac searches for disks and servers, so it could of been a part of a network system???????

I would like to know if there is a way to get into the bios and reset the whole system without password prompts and all that. Which is the best way to do this? Thank you!

P.S.
I have the mac osx install disk from my ibook but I tried to boot the disk and it's not booting. I also have the install disk for os tiger and that's not booting either. There must be a super secure lock on the system.

The way you descibe this machine looking for network servers and remote disks at startup, refusing to boot from unauthorised startup disks (firmware password enabled), plus your 'Friend' not knowing either the password(s) or having the Install Disk, sounds very much like your 'friend' acquired, then sold you stolen goods that originated in a corporate environment. Mac's don't have a BIOS either.

There are ways to work round these locks, but I'll let you find them yourself in these forums since I don't want to seem to be encouraging the movement of (possibly/probably) stolen Macs.

If you are a good samaritan, I would recommend you check the machine's serial number with Apple to see if it has been reported stolen.

Can't someone please please help with this problem? I have the same exact issue. I bought a G4 off ebay for my husband's Christmas present. It works fine because it's already logged in but it won't let us install Final Cut Pro without a password--which was the entire point of buying the computer in the first place. I, too, have my macbook osx install disc but when I try starting it up pressing c a black screen comes up with "unable to find driver for this platform," "no debugger configured. dumping debug information," and "panic, we are hanging here" amongst a bunch of other code and stuff. The guy I bought it from is of no help and it's past the 60 days when ebay will help with anything so I'm really stuck. I hear what JeffCGD is saying about the possibility of stolen computers but we're also talking about a G4 here. It's not like this is something that's even worth anything anymore. I think it's just as likely that the computer was sold or given away from its original office or something like that. I've tried wading through lots of posts on this forum but haven't been able to find anything that will help so I'm begging someone to help johndarko and me!!

Back