Need to restart your Computer Error

perkinswi

Registered
Cannot Restart - Continues to come back to this message. I have tried PRAM did not work. then tried Single user to the unix screen - but unable to type when there. I have tried verbose - not able to see anything but unix verbage. I found my Leopard install DVD and have that in the drive. I tried to start up to that, but could not from holding c=key down. now I held down the D=key and am running the extended hardware test. It is still running that...Any suggestions on how to get mac back??

Got the same machine but mine is running slow seemingly since my update to Snow Leopard. However, part of the problem may be related to two things:

1. A 7200RPM hard drive. This is a known issue. I know I sent mine back to Apple (within the 1-year warranty) and they replaced it because it was failing. Now I have a Toshiba brand hard drive. Another ''however'' is that there seems to be some consensus that the SATA firmware/driver is in conflict with the configuration in general and while I don't know the 10.5.8 solution, I have heard that the upcoming update (10.6.2 Snow Leopard) is supposed to address this issue. It also makes for occasional stop-and-start video.

2. Permissions and disk repair. This is the easier of the issues and with you still running Leopard it is even better. Get AppleJack (totally free at VersionTracker.com). Install it and run it to fix all the important maintenance and repair tasks at boot-up. I cannot stress just how much of a savior AppleJack has been over the years from Tiger to Leopard. It is totally free and if I were to make a list of the most useful and best utilities ever created for Mac, this would be it. I'm just hoping the developer(s) hurry up and make a Snow Leopard-compatible version....soon. Also, check your fonts for corruption. Use the Font Book utility in the Utilities folder. All of these can make for ''slowness'' on an expensive laptop that should really just plain work. MacBook Pro owners paid a premium for a ''pro'' level machine and it should perform to this level.

Oh, forgot to mention that there was apparently a graphics card issue that is also well known. Apple has already said that it will, warranty or not, replace faulty graphics cards. I haven't had to replace mine (yet if ever), but others have not been so lucky. Check into that too just FYI. Apparently this syndrome can manifest itself anytime during the life of the machine.

Good luck.

Hello Summerstorm.
Thank you for the information on the hardware difficulties I need to look for. As soon as I can get my computer booted again, i am going to check the hard drive to see if it is the one you recently had Apple Replace.

I purchased Snow leopard, but I have not installed it yet.

The Apple Hardware extended Test is still running and has been for about 1 hour. I did see on another post that I can try resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) to get my Mac booted again. Hopefully, the hardware test will show everything is clear on the hardware and I need to find the software issue on why i keep getting the " restart Your Computer message in multiple languages across the black screen.

I really appreciate the other information and will download the App Applejack ASAP and run it.

If you have any suggestions on what I can do to get Mac OS 10.5.XX loaded, I would really appreciate any help. I am somewhat tech savvy but not on unix.

Thanks

Here is the hardware test Results:

Alert! Apple Hardware Test Has Detected an Error.

4SNS/1/40000000:IDOR- 127.898

Pass Number: 1,
Total Time Testing: 1 hour, 12 minutes 45 seconds

Computer Configuration: Purchased June 15 2009

3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRM-2X2GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive@7200rpm
SuperDrive 8X DL
MBP 17" HiRs Glossy WS Display

Last edited:
AHT error 4SNS is usually a logic board or sensor issue - you've done what you can (PRAM and SMC resets), so it would be probably time to have the MLB replaced. Is your Mac still under warranty?

It is under warranty. I have contacted Apple Expert Support to call me tomorrow. I have not backed this computer in about an month...so hopefully will not lose my christmas pictures.

Thank you all for your assistance.
I think it is a very sick Mac.
:-(

Apple hardware test isn't the most reliable diagnostic tool but it will flag obvious failures and in some cases call out false positives in regards to connected peripherals and 3rd party hardware. You should really only run the test with limited peripherals like keyboard and mouse and a monitor if one is needed. Disconnect anything else and run again to see if the error still comes up. Also has any other hardware been added to the machine like RAM, larger HD? Another thing we know is that it boots to disk obviously but not the HD which could be an indication of either software or a failing HD. The next thing you want to do is boot to your installer DVD and run disk utility to repair the disk and post back with errors or problems if any.

Thank you djackmac

When I put in my installer DVD, it will not boot when I hold the c-key only chimes, chimes, chimes. If I hold the option key there are 2 icons that appear, Mac HD and the Disk- if I choose either, I get the "restart your Mac " message in multiple languages.

I can hold the D key and I get the Hardware Apple Test - it probes the hardware, then can click to get the test in extended or regular mode. I do not have anything attached or extra (like Memory) in the computer - only what it shipped with. I do not even have a printer attached.

I will run the extended test again. To see if I get the same results. It does take about an hour. I will post results again.

Based on what you are telling me by it also kernel panicing trying to boot from the DVD, I'd suspect RAM is the first thing to check. The reason it will run the AHT is because that is not booting an OS to run as AHT usually runs more in firmware or EFI. May want to try reseating RAM or if more than 1 chip installed trying to boot with one chip at a time.

Second -Apple Hardware Test Results -

No Trouble Found

Pass Number 2
Total Time Testing 1 hour 16 minutes 47 seconds

I will reseed the memory in the Morning, when my eyes can focus on the little tiny screws.

Good Morning
I opened my computer and found 2 memory slots (stacked) with memory in both slots. I removed, rearranged, single and every which way....but my computer would not boot - still only get the restart your mac message with the multiple languages.

i am on line with apple expert now - let me know if anyone has any thoughts or questions.

by the way - the memory is samsung 2 gb and there are 2 of them
Apparently they think it is a hardware issue. Apple is sending a box for me to ship to the repair depot. When I get results from them, I will post.

Last edited:
I have my computer Back. and Summer Storm - you were right!
They replaced my HD with the following:

The repair information says:
Item Number 655-1554B
Description HDD 500GB7200
Symptom: Drive- Bad Sector /Defective

The New Drive info on computer is this:
Vendor: NVidia
Product: MCP79 AHCI
Speed: 3 Gigabit
Description: AHCI Version 1.20 supported
Model: ST9500420ASG
Capacity 465.76 GB

Found out this is a Seagate Holiday 500gb 7200 rpm

I am very disappointed Apple did not notify me regarding my "new" computer having known HD Issues. I would have been more proactive in backing up. I can get most of my information back, but the time wasted, I cannot. They also did not send the defective HD back with the Computer even thou I requested it I have the service tech ID#, but Apple states I cannot talk to them and the HD is gone.

I have snow leopard, actually bought awhile back, just never installed - any issues if I upgrade now on my clean drive?

Last edited:
Back