Need urgent help...

Tetano

Registered
My girlfriend has installed on her powerbook (1.33 GHz, 768 MB RAM, running 10.3.5) the driver for an ADSL Modem, and after reinstalling (as the software package tells her) she found with nothing on her desktop, neiher in documents or custom application, as after a fresh reinstall of the system.. She is also running Filevault, if that helps... I told her to restart once more, bu it doesn't correct anything...

I don't understand your answer, maybe I've not been so clear... I don't ask her about the modem, because the fact is that she has lost all her documents... I think that now it's better to solve this problem and then I will check if the modem is working... or this two facts can be related?
another little question... from my account on her computer, is it possible to recover some filevault protected files on her account?

Ohhh, sorry. I got you wrong. Thought she didn't find any "application" that has something to do with the new adsl modem..
Did she snoop the disk? Maybe she has been signed in as a new user? And what about repairing permissions?

now she's not at her machine, so I would tell her tomorrow morning... i don't think it is a problem of users, she logged in with my account and the apps that are installed for both users are not present... Could it be a filevault relatetd problem? once i've encountered a similar problem with filevault noot mounting the .sparseimage file... i will tell her tomorrow, first to repair permission then try logging out and in to see if the .sparseimage will mount again... and then to turn off filevault...

Check the /Users directory (that's Macintosh HD>Users), see if her home folder was renamed accidentally. In that case, OS X would have created a new home folder. Empty.

Doug

Tetano said:
My girlfriend has installed on her powerbook (1.33 GHz, 768 MB RAM, running 10.3.5) the driver for an ADSL Modem, and after reinstalling (as the software package tells her) she found with nothing on her desktop, neiher in documents or custom application, as after a fresh reinstall of the system.. She is also running Filevault, if that helps... I told her to restart once more, bu it doesn't correct anything...

What did she reinstall?

ksv said:
What did she reinstall?

sorry, I was thinking restarting but wrote reinstalling....

However, from what she could tell me at the phone, the fact that I have understood is that Filevaul is not mounting the .sparseimage file, which is shown in her home directory... Checking the security pane in system preferences>users>security for her account, the Filevault is labeled as active, so, since it's the second time that I encounter a problem with that option on her machine, I want to turn it off. if i do this, would it recognize the fiel in her home folder and let her recover her data?

which one is the startup disk? she check the cds that were shipped with the PB, but she can always find software install and restore 1 and 2, iLife and something about wireless... otherwise, the PB has also a problem in the closure of the screen, tomorrow she would go to the apple local store and she would ask also to recover her data...

ok, so I can use that one... but i tried to boot, and then i arrived to the installer screen... so, what do i have to choose from the menu?

Tetano said:
ok, so I can use that one... but i tried to boot, and then i arrived to the installer screen... so, what do i have to choose from the menu?

Something like "Reset Admin Password" from the File menu, if I remember correctly.

Back