Need Windows Help!!!!sorry

Pardus

Lurks: 15,289
Can somebody help me!!!

I looked around the net for some windows forums but didnt find any good ones so I am hoping a fellow mac person out here has some windows experience or at least can suggest a place to find an answer.

Ok my wife is in mexico and has a kodak dx4330 camera. She has only used iPhoto to import but cant find any macs down there at any cafe's or anything. So she has the kodak software for windows and has installed it on a machine at her local cafe but everything is in spanish which she sucks at and she has no idea how windows OS works so she is completely lost. We have been chatting on MSN and I have been tryin gto help her but i dont know much about windows either.

First off, can you change language on a windows to english and is it hard? any how to's.

Second is there any good windows forums if someone here doesnt know how...

and she is there for 3 months so she wants to send me pics while she is there so i would like to figure this out for her.

Originally posted by Pardus
Can somebody help me!!!

I will try but doing Windows work via the Internet it can be HARD ;)

I looked around the net for some windows forums but didnt find any good ones so I am hoping a fellow mac person out here has some windows experience or at least can suggest a place to find an answer.

:(

Ok my wife is in mexico and has a kodak dx4330 camera. She has only used iPhoto to import but cant find any macs down there at any cafe's or anything. So she has the kodak software for windows and has installed it on a machine at her local cafe but everything is in spanish which she sucks at and she has no idea how windows OS works so she is completely lost. We have been chatting on MSN and I have been tryin gto help her but i dont know much about windows either.

Can't she find an Apple Store or an Authorized Apple Reseller?

First off, can you change language on a windows to english and is it hard? any how to's.

Based on my Greek Windows experiences (my job is a PC/Mac tech) and from I know from the European versions, no you cannot... :(

Second is there any good windows forums if someone here doesnt know how...

What is EXACTLY that you need to do? Maybe the problem is in how to use the Kodak software and not Windows... Let us know more about what is that you have to do! Sorry, but I cannot show you of Windows forums that may be of help to you because I cannot get the actual problem here until you will give me some more details :eek:

and she is there for 3 months so she wants to send me pics while she is there so i would like to figure this out for her.

Did she transfer the pics from the camera? Is this the actual problem? Anyways, why she doesn't ask from someone who knows Spanish AND English to help her out? Not necessarily someone who knows computers but someone just to translate the words for her... What if she will ask for help from the clerks there or even the management? Just one time help that she will allow her to write the steps down and then she could give a shot or two by herself until she will get the steps right!

Let us know what gives...

Ok sorry my ran wasn't very clear.

Here are some of the problems.
Her browser is in spanish and she has web based email. basic stuff is ok but she has a hard ime so far understanding things beyond send and receive functions. so I was hoping IE can be switched to English in teh prefs or something. her webmail is showing spanish so there must be some translation setting that is changing it to spanish?

Second, she hasnt used the kodak software before cause she has always used iPhoto and she doesnt really know how to use windows. So she tried installing the software but everythign is in spanish so first she cant tell if it is installed properly but she did try and import her pics but it wasnt working. I cant help her trouble shoot because she doesnt know spanish well enough to tell me whats going on. Can you change the OS to use english instead of Spanigh?

Thirdly,
She is trying to find someone who can help her there but she is in a more rural area without many tourists so there is fewer people who speak english. I know this is all a long shot but as usual am just trying to be her Hero....

Thanks for helping.

If she's near Mexico City she could go to Polanco there are some cafes with macs or she could go to a CompuDabo's MacStore (one is in Polanco one More in Insurgentes Av.) also she could go to a OfficeMax or go directly with Apple at REforma Av. ... If she's near Guadalajara, Puebla or Monterey I'm sure there are Mac Stores too..

first: you cannot change windows language. So, she is stucked with spanish. Than I am a bit confused. Is it some kind of internet-cafe? if so, I would be hardly surprised, if she had some sort of admin-rights. Installing software should be inhibited or those guys gonna ruin their internetcafe soon. One good way to save pics from the cam is to use ms word. Very easy actually. You look for a scanner-icon (should be independant to the language! ;)) when you press, you set the source. digicams are shown as scanner-sources, so she could pick kodak (I believe she doesn't need any drivers) and than she will get a browser for those pics. Than she should paste one pic by one into the document and finally save that one. I believe this should be the easiest way.

If she can install software, have her download a copy of IE English from the M$ website. Long shot.

You could always buy her a cheap iBook and ship it down there. There were some clamshell 300mhz ones for 300$ on ebay the other day.

Best Bet:
------------
Buy a card reader, they're cheap ($12 to $20) and send it to her. She can copy the images off the card and e-mail that way. No need for those lame programs offered by the maker of the cameras. The reader installs as an external drive, so you plug it into the USB port then put the card in. It'll popup on you Mac desktop, or on Windows she can find it in the list under the My Computer icon. $15 for one in the auction below for MMC/Secure Digital (was what I saw on net for that camera).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2944542458

Thank you everyone for helping,

I found a english option in the web based email app. For some stupid reason it was only availble to change in the address book options not on the overall options so I missed it the first time but converts the whole webmail to english....

She hasn't had a chance to do the photo's again, i think she is waiting to go with a friend she made down there who has good english/spanish. I also found a mac reseller in Oaxaca so she just might go there and use their iPhoto and email me the pics that way.

I will post up a few pics when we figure this thing out....thanks again.

Tell her to download IE in English, then download the Kodak software in English as well. I just checked their site, and at the top there's a link to change country/language on-site, so if it pops up in Spanish have her change it to US English (American ;)) and download the software.

Back