Needed iTunes Improvements

Originally posted by xaqintosh
yeah, but that's not really editing, I meant like a sound studio or amadeus kind of thing, to actuall edit the songs, like a graphics editor for sound

true....but it is a solution for people that want to clip/split tracks. not everyone knows about this feature, i just wanted to help spread the word...

I knew I could set the start and stop times, but i have moved my mp3 files from one HD to another a few times and each time I cleaned out my library and re-imported everything. This would wipe out my start/stop times. I also knew that when burning an audio cd, the start/stop time would work. I just never thought to convert it. It works! :D

itunes short cuts

go and get Keyboard Maestro - a utility that lets you exeute anything from any keystroke, including F1 - F15

make a simple applescript like this

tell application "iTunes"
next track
end tell

save it as a script (not an app)

assign it to one of the Function buttons

and you have a itunes remote!!

itunes will skip to the next track instantly, no need to even bring itunes to the front!

you can also replace next track with

playpause - toggles between play and pause (duh) or
previous track

In the next version of itunes i would like to see this built in

but this is a perfect solution in the meantime!!

Originally posted by bigbadbill
I knew I could set the start and stop times, but i have moved my mp3 files from one HD to another a few times and each time I cleaned out my library and re-imported everything. This would wipe out my start/stop times. I also knew that when burning an audio cd, the start/stop time would work. I just never thought to convert it. It works! :D

glad i helped ya, 3B. you mind if i call you that? ;)

great feature, huh? a pity that it's almost a secret, i had to do a bit of experimenting to figure it all out...

Apple scripts would be cool, but they never work in the background. They bring the pplet to the front then quit out the applet when done. Is it possible to click a F key and have the script run in the background? I written a number of scripts, but they don't run in the background so I could just use the dock.

1. I'd like to change the compression method without going into the prefs, just with a popup menu like convert...

2. I'd also like to be able to change the destination folder of the files converted in the conversion window. Here again, going to the prefs sucks.

3. I'd like iTunes to be able to connect to other databases than CDDB.

Not big work though...

save your script as a complied script not an application, that way they system dosnt have to launch an application and the script is executed immediatly in the background!

works fine for me!

Originally posted by rinse
i would like to burn the built-in crossfading into the disc, but still keep the indexing intact.

I would second that. I am now trying to figure out how to use SparkME to do that.

glad i helped ya, 3B. you mind if i call you that?

great feature, huh? a pity that it's almost a secret, i had to do a bit of experimenting to figure it all out...

Yes, better documentation on iTunes 3 would be great. I really had to do alot of clicking to figure a few things out too.

Urbansory

I made compiled scripts, but I could not get Keyboard Maastro to recognize them.

Instead I downloaded Youpi Key (freeware) and created new applescript shortcuts.

I made 4 shortcuts (I added stop) to the comands and assigned them to cmd-F1-cmd-F4.

They work immediately and do not switch the foreground app.

Make it so that itunes can organize all of your mp3s on the hard drive based on the ID3 tags.

Artist->Album->Songs.mp3

It does this automaticaly when you encode a CD, but what about all of the MP3s you already have? The only way to get iTunes to do this, is to RE-ENCODE the mp3s, which is a terrible idea.

It should work just like iPhoto. When you drag a bunch of images from a folder onto iPhoto, it organizes them into folders by year, month and day.

I want to be able to drop new mp3s that i've downloaded and have iTunes oragnize them for me. If the mp3 that i'm dropping into my library doesn't have ID3 tags, iTunes should have the option to prompt me to fill them in correctly.

I can't think of any other way to organize all 3,500 mp3s that I have, short of doing it by hand.

on a side note, if I could find a php module that could read id3 tags out of mp3s, i could write a script to do it for me :)

mp3rage or ragemp3 or whatever it's called has all sorts of id3/name editing features. i couldn't live without it. (my life directly corresponds with my mp3 organization skills. it's true!)

I've tried MP3 Rage, and I don't like that program at all. I forgot now what exactly it did while sorting MP3 files, but it was something that made me really dislike it.

I don't quite have a full grasp on how iTunes interacts with the CDDB and what is stored on the disc and what must be discovered each time you insert the disk, but I'd like to be able to get track names for a PLAYLIST (organized as an album) - not just CDs. For instance, I downloaded a folder of music all with generic file names. When I burn the disc, the CDDB correctly identifies the tracks, however the MP3 files still remain generic. Instead of entering them one-by-one, I'd love to be able to use a "APPLY CD TRACK NAMES TO PLAYLIST TRACKS" or "FIND PLAYLIST/ALBUM TRACK NAMES" function.

Any ideas to make this work? For that one album, I ended up burning the CD, and then importing the tracks again just so I didn't have to type in all the names.

J

That CDDB feature you mentioned would be GREAT; however I don't think the lookup feature works with just sound files. I think it works with checksums from the CD or something that is CD specific, not song specific. So without the CD the CDDB has no idea what a song is.

I downloaded an entire album as one MP3. Then, in Quicktime, I arbitrarily split it up into tracks (it's a continuous mix of electronica, so there were no breaks in the music). After splitting it up, I renamed each track - but for some reason I couldn't update the ID3 tags, and the names didn't stick after a restart. THEN, I burned the CD and CDDB was able to recognize what it was and name each track. Iiiinteresting.

Back