Needing to Re-install OSX....

spoolin spec v

Registered
I am needing to re install OSX on my laptop since I sold it. Thats no Big deal, execpt iam having truble finding the CD's. The only CD's i do have are for my G5, and the laptop is a 17 inch powerbook.

is there any thing i can do? Buy the new cd's? download them from somewhere? anything?
Thanks
-Kurt

Keep looking or buy new CD's. Although you have purchased the Cd's or they came with your Mac, there is no download site to replace them, the warranty doesn't cover loss.

ebay is the place to look

OS X retails for $129 at apple.com or your local Apple store. Alternatively, you can delete your account, and securely erase free space. Another thing you could do is enable filevault, then delete your account from another admin account.

If the buyer is installing his own copy of OSX, I suppose you could install some version of Linux or FreeBSD Unix for free. Just make sure it's a version for your chip.

http://www.freebsd.org/

Also, if the buyer is installing his own OSX, you should be able to completely erase the harddrive somehow. One way would be to boot from Linux on a DVD or CD and erase the harddrive from there.

Awesome guys. i just checked ebay, and the prices there are ALOT cheaper than the 129 bucks from apple.

Now, iam not sure what OS version it is, i think its 10.1.xx or 10.2xx

its a 17 inch powerbook from 2 and half years ago? Any ideas? any way to tell.

It should run anything (OS X)- but 10.3 and 10.4 would be the best. Make sure that you get the full retail version, and not a version made for one system.

10.3 is probably the best bang for your buck. 10.4 is the latest, so it sells for a bit more. You could get any version of 10.3, as all 3rd digit upgrades are free (In your case, x is free in 10.3.x). That looks like it'll work. All system specific versions that I've seen are grey, and those disks have no indication of being system-specific. They will not install on the new intel macs, note.

10.3 is probably the best bang for your buck. 10.4 is the latest, so it sells for a bit more. You could get any version of 10.3, as all 3rd digit upgrades are free (In your case, x is free in 10.3.x). That looks like it'll work. All system specific versions that I've seen are grey, and those disks have no indication of being system-specific. They will not install on the new intel macs, note.

Awesome, thank you guys! and its a two year old laptop, so no intel.

Back